$125,000-$300,000??

Started by coop528
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

coop528

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
These are the figures that are quoted from various people/sources.

Why such a difference? (Disregard regional differences)

The answer, I am sure, is that folks making $300,000 are working a hell of a lot harder than the folks making $125,000, but I want to know more about this if anyone knows. I have read a lot on this site and others about PM&R, but I still am confused on why there is such a difference in reported salaries.

Specifics..please. Thanks a bunch!
 
coop528 said:
These are the figures that are quoted from various people/sources.

Why such a difference? (Disregard regional differences)

The answer, I am sure, is that folks making $300,000 are working a hell of a lot harder than the folks making $125,000, but I want to know more about this if anyone knows. I have read a lot on this site and others about PM&R, but I still am confused on why there is such a difference in reported salaries.

Specifics..please. Thanks a bunch!

this is what i gather from speaking with the graduates from my school's residency program/fellowships:

1. location, location, location
2. hours of work and environment (academic vs private)
3. procedures and type of work (general inpatient, tbi, sci, outpatient musculo, interventional spine)


don't let salary make or break a decision to pursue any specialty. there are so many variables.
 
chauffeur said:
this is what i gather from speaking with the graduates from my school's residency program/fellowships:

1. location, location, location
2. hours of work and environment (academic vs private)
3. procedures and type of work (general inpatient, tbi, sci, outpatient musculo, interventional spine)


don't let salary make or break a decision to pursue any specialty. there are so many variables.

Thanks...I'll search more through past threads to find my answer.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
coop528 said:
These are the figures that are quoted from various people/sources.

Why such a difference? (Disregard regional differences)

The answer, I am sure, is that folks making $300,000 are working a hell of a lot harder than the folks making $125,000, but I want to know more about this if anyone knows. I have read a lot on this site and others about PM&R, but I still am confused on why there is such a difference in reported salaries.

Specifics..please. Thanks a bunch!


It all depends what services you offer in your practice.

Some physiatrists do all inpatient, some do all outpatient and others do a combination.

I've rotated with a few attendings who make good money doing a good amount of inpatient work. Then again, they work their asses off and each cover 2-3 acute/subacute rehab units in addition to clinic and EMGs.

Interventional spinal procedures currently pay well, which is why you see interventional fellowships progressively increasing in popularity and competitiveness.
 
Disciple said:
It all depends what services you offer in your practice.

Some physiatrists do all inpatient, some do all outpatient and others do a combination.

I've rotated with a few attendings who make good money doing a good amount of inpatient work. Then again, they work their asses off and each cover 2-3 acute/subacute rehab units in addition to clinic and EMGs.

Interventional spinal procedures currently pay well, which is why you see interventional fellowships progressively increasing in popularity and competitiveness.

The number I have seen typically is that you can expect to make $10k/bed/yr for each inpatient bed you cover (assuming it stays full)

Interventional does pay well, but the malpractice is much higher as well. MSK in general is also FUN, has a younger, healthier patient population, and generally attracts a different personality altogether than does inpatient rehab. PM&R is becoming more competative as a whole becuase the field has expanded its focus, and has not remained stagnant. IF money were the only draw, sports would not be as popular as it is, as it is clearly NOT the place to be if greed were your only impetus for choosing one aspect of the field over another.
 
paz5559 said:
MSK in general is also FUN, has a younger, healthier patient population, and generally attracts a different personality altogether than does inpatient rehab. IF money were the only draw, sports would not be as popular as it is, as it is clearly NOT the place to be if greed were your only impetus for choosing one aspect of the field over another.


Amen to that, brotha'.

Seriously though, I can't help feeling that there is somewhat of a split occuring in PM&R between those who do "MSK/sports/spine" and those that do inpatient rehab.

Even in interviewing back in fall of '01 I vividly remember several PDs or faculty of prominent old-school programs giving me this look of disdain or even smirking to one another when I would tell them of my interest in sports and procedures.

"Those darn med students, all they want to do is injections, they have no idea what real rehab is all about!" :laugh:

Even among attendings I work with, I'm getting real tired of all the bitching about needle jockeys.