This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mariposas905

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. Depends on the individual adcom member

2. Depends on II type (open file, closed file, etc). If open file, anything in your completed file can be discussed though I strongly suspect that nothing for certain would ever be mentioned re: your LORs.

Bigger question: why do you care?

1. Depends on the individual adcom member

2. Depends on II type (open file, closed file, etc). If open file, anything in your completed file can be discussed though I strongly suspect that nothing for certain would ever be mentioned re: your LORs.

Bigger question: why do you care?

Lol mainly just curious. And some of my letters are kind of old, so I'm having the writers update the dates. The activities mentioned in the letter might be from 3-4 years ago, so I'm worried if it would be seen as outdated

Do they just skim through it once to get the gist of the letter (strong, good, weak)? Or do they read with great scrutiny and connect the details in different letters together to "paint a picture" of the applicant?

Also, can something mentioned in the letters come up during an II? For example, if one of our letter writers wrote about an activity we did that was not mentioned in AMCAS or secondaries, will adcoms ask about it?
At my school, we read every one of them. This is why I ask SDNers to have mercy on us, when they want to send ten testimonial letters.

Confidentiality generally prevents up directly asking about something, lest you figure out "Oh, it was Dr Jones that said that about me!".

But was can ask obliquely. For example, if a writer stated that "Mariposa was very diligent, but not a good team player", I would ask you a question about how you resolve disputes, or deal with someone not pulling their weight.

Under no circumstances would we ever ask "So, Dr Jones says X about you...."

Reactions: 1 user