This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whoisthat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why are you taking Calc classes? I believe a Biochemistry course would of much greater benefit to you (in admission requirements and MCAT prep).

I'd aim for a June MCAT at the absolute latest.

Squeeze in clinical volunteering and some physician shadowing. Also, don't neglect volunteering in a non-clinical setting as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Why are you taking Calc classes? I believe a Biochemistry course would of much greater benefit to you (in admission requirements and MCAT prep).

I'd aim for a June MCAT at the absolute latest.

Squeeze in clinical volunteering and some physician shadowing. Also, don't neglect volunteering in a non-clinical setting as well.

Hi Siromas, Thank you for responding! I thought I needed calc for admission according to MSAR.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Siromas, Thank you for responding! I thought I needed calc for admission according to MSAR.
I just checked UC Davis, UC Irvine, UCSF, and UCLA on MSAR and none of them listed Calculus as "required".

Disclaimer: I did not check their school-specific webpages.

Also, the only math class I've been required to list was a statistics course.

Reactions: 1 user
When MSAR lists a course as "recommended" versus "required" -- are these generally dealbreakers for competitive schools? Or case by case based on course load/GPA/MCAT/other factors?

When MSAR lists a course as "recommended" versus "required" -- are these generally dealbreakers for competitive schools? Or case by case based on course load/GPA/MCAT/other factors?
In my opinion, I believe their are other more important factors (overall/science GPA, MCAT, quality/quantity of clinical/non-clinical experience, PS, secondary responses, research/publications, interview impressions, time of application submission) that will be evaluated before a dean rejects one of two similar applicants based on who took a recommended course.

How long ago did you have algebra?

How long ago did you have any sort of science class?

If Berk offers a placement for gen chem and math, take them and let that be your guide.

Let's say algebra is good on your part:

Summer 2018
Gen chem 1 + lab

Fall 2018
Gen chem 2 + lab
Biology + lab

Spring 2019
Orgo 1 + lab
Physics 1 + lab

Summer 2019
Physics 2 + lab
MCAT
Apply

Fall 2019
Biochem

Spring 2020
Genetics

The problem with my thoughts are that you end up taking biochemistry after the MCAT and honestly, I think it'd be better to have it before. Also, PLEASE buy the MSAR and see what schools you're interested in and their requirements. MOST schools do not require calc and do NOT require orgo 2 (substituting biochemistry instead).

Define competitive in your mind? The reason I ask is that Harvard, Yale, Columbia, U Penn, UCSF, Stanford, Chicago, Northwestern, Johns Hopkins, etc. ALL pretty much require research, pubs, etc. Bench research.

Competitive outside of research? Like Mayo, Emory, etc? Great MCAT, great GPA and a ton of EC's, shadowing, clinical...

Finally, almost all med schools are competitive. I don't know of one MD that says, "we take all the left overs, come here!!!" Are there schools with lower MCAT scores and GPAs? Yes, but those schools also have a very focused purpose.

Last, don't rush. Marathon, not sprint. It's the mantra of all non-trads or should be :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

If Berk offers a placement for gen chem and math, take them and let that be your guide.

Summer 2018
Gen chem 1 + lab

Fall 2018
Gen chem 2 + lab
Biology + lab

Spring 2019
Orgo 1 + lab
Physics 1 + lab

Summer 2019
Physics 2 + lab
MCAT
Apply

Fall 2019
Biochem

Spring 2020
Genetics

The problem with my thoughts are that you end up taking biochemistry after the MCAT and honestly, I think it'd be better to have it before. Also, PLEASE buy the MSAR and see what schools you're interested in and their requirements. MOST schools do not require calc and do NOT require orgo 2 (substituting biochemistry instead).

Last, don't rush. Marathon, not sprint. It's the mantra of all non-trads or should be :)
You took the words right out of my mouth. I've took the MCAT recently and it focused heavily on the topics I learned in my Biochem class.

MCAT recently and it focused heavily on the topics I learned in my Biochem class.
9/2 for me, for real, for score... I hope mine is as well though I'm suspecting heavy physics and orgo :eek:

9/2 for me, for real, for score... I hope mine is as well though I'm suspecting heavy physics and orgo :eek:
Yo I think physics and orgo are the two most common subjects that catch people off guard. Good luck!

Yo I think physics and orgo are the two most common subjects that catch people off guard. Good luck!
A+ in physics 1 & 2 but I worry a little that in a moment of panic, I do something stupid like where is pressure greatest in a tube of different diameters? or forget that effusion is a sqrt on one side of the equation or ...

Overall, I'm giving it all I've got. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Wow, thank you so much for this detailed response. I had algebra in high school and several stats classes in college.

A few questions --
1. I noticed there isn't a second Bio in this set up
2. Is biochem after MCAT a huge disadvantage for the MCAT? I'm sure this is quite debated.
3. Physics after MCAT (say June or July) could also be troublesome -- no?

Thank you again, you're very helpful and I truly appreciate all of these responses -- I'm learning!

Summer 2018
Gen chem 1 + lab

Fall 2018
Gen chem 2 + lab
Biology + lab

Spring 2019
Orgo 1 + lab
Physics 1 + lab

Summer 2019
Physics 2 + lab
MCAT
Apply

Fall 2019
Biochem

Spring 2020
Genetics

Define competitive in your mind? The reason I ask is that Harvard, Yale, Columbia, U Penn, UCSF, Stanford, Chicago, Northwestern, Johns Hopkins, etc. ALL pretty much require research, pubs, etc. Bench research.

Competitive outside of research? Like Mayo, Emory, etc? Great MCAT, great GPA and a ton of EC's, shadowing, clinical...

Finally, almost all med schools are competitive. I don't know of one MD that says, "we take all the left overs, come here!!!" Are there schools with lower MCAT scores and GPAs? Yes, but those schools also have a very focused purpose.

1. Take Physics in May-June if possible
2. Take MCAT in July / August (make sure AMCAS app already submitted for verification purposes)
3. Take biochem before MCAT - there's no debate really, yes... yes.... and yes....
4. The second course of biology - unless otherwise specifically stated - can be an upper division course like genetics, or cell bio, or micro bio or medical mycology or physiology or ... I never took a 2nd course of gen bio because it was only offered for biology majors at my home institution and where I live now and this institution, it's all clades. :vomit:

The reason I asked re: algebra is gen chem is all math but it's manipulation of variables not integrated math like calculus. PV=nRT so, if PT are given to you, can you figure out V? Should be able to pretty easily (it's a little more complex than that but not by much).

Physics for non-engineers (look for trig based physics courses) is also algebra and trig. The trig is easy (sin theta, cos theta for angles on an incline, etc)... again, manipulation of variables is critical. For instance, for the MCAT I'm making sure I'm very comfortable with the formulas but I am also making very sure I know the units because if I forget a formula, at least with the units and some algebra, I can manipulate the #s given to me to get the answer choice that is best.

FWIW, I am applying this cycle and will have just taken my MCAT about the time AMCAS verifies my application. The common theme and suggestion is to have your app ready to go by June 1 or whenever the date for submission is. I tend to be n-1 so given my age and everything else, I'm throwing my name with a completed app in this cycle.

More often than not, that does NOT work out for people - you'll see how many say they applied late and are re-apps the next year and then get a seat. This is a personal choice whether to apply in late August or wait a full year. IF I were 44 or 45 or 46, I'd probably wait. I'm not ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.