This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mariposas905

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
All MD acceptances are reported to all MD schools via your AAMC ID. Therefore, if reapply, your previous acceptance is accessible by all admitting systems
It appears that AACOMAS (for DO) has instituted a similar set of traffic rules that has now also setup a national acceptance reporting system and date. Since AACOMAS uses the same underlying admitting software it would have the same capabilities. Now whether most schools has the software configured to show previous acceptances or if this information is transmitted from the central system each cycle is unknown, but it certainly could be. It also isnt known how DO schools may react to this other than the general question that it would likely raise in an adcom's mind "why did this applicant turn down a previous acceptance?"

AACOMAS Traffic Guidelines
The moral of the story: don't attend interviews to schools you will not attend unless you've already got an acceptance elsewhere and you're dying to waste some money.

Reactions: 4 users
BTW, this why I am not a fan of reasonable candidates applying to both MD and DO in the same cycle or why applying late in what applicants perceive as a "hail mary" or "I will go where ever they will take me so I will apply to 50 schools." And that includes those who apply without knowing anything of the school, particularly the reputation. They may get into a DO but a WL or a few II to MD with no acceptance. Then they turn around and say:

"well maybe next cycle if I do X (ie apply early, retake the MCAT, get more hours) I might make it to MD school. Besides since I made it to DO school this year, I will surely make it again next year."

That is not true (and please stop calling me Shirley). You should never apply to a school you wont attend and if you have an interview and cant stand the place, withdraw immediately. By far, the worst mistake that a premed can ever make in this process is turning down an acceptance.
If you're willing to apply MD and DO and accept a DO acceptance regardless of the outcome, I think it's fine. If you really want that MD or have your heart set on a DO-unfriendly specialty, don't do it though.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you turn down an MD acceptance, you are reportedly at a huge disadvantage when you re-apply next year. Is this the same for DO schools and are you put on a similar sort of "blacklist" when they see that you rejected a DO acceptance the previous year?

Don't apply to schools that you wouldn't attend if accepted.

BTW, this why I am not a fan of reasonable candidates applying to both MD and DO in the same cycle or why applying late in what applicants perceive as a "hail mary" or "I will go where ever they will take me so I will apply to 50 schools." And that includes those who apply without knowing anything of the school, particularly the reputation. They may get into a DO but a WL or a few II to MD with no acceptance. Then they turn around and say:

"well maybe next cycle if I do X (ie apply early, retake the MCAT, get more hours) I might make it to MD school. Besides since I made it to DO school this year, I will surely make it again next year."

That is not true (and please stop calling me Shirley). You should never apply to a school you wont attend and if you have an interview and cant stand the place, withdraw immediately. By far, the worst mistake that a premed can ever make in this process is turning down an acceptance.
"Reasonable" md candidates are guaranteed that slot so applying DO makes sense to hedge the bets if they don't want to lose $200k in opportunity cost

I somewhat disagree with that as many of the applicants who get into this quandary have, what might be best described as, "acceptance remorse." They apply thinking that they will take any school but then waiver when a DO offer comes in but no MD acceptance. I have seen this too many times which is why I am not a fan of applying both DO and MD on a first cycle. Even applicants who seem mature and rational at the beginning of the cycle, even older professional nontrads, sometimes become pools of blathering idiocy and self-perceived illusions of acceptance grander for the next cycle.
Eh, I dunno- I'm happy I didn't waste a year. Mostly. I know a lot of people aren't but so long as I match I'll never have truly regretted my decision.

Do not under any circumstance do this. Medical school is not like law school, where it's top 14 or bust. You can come from Harvard, and either become a world-renowned surgeon or you can go into primary care (just an example, nothing against it). At the same time, you can go to the lowest-ranked school, and either become a world-renowned surgeon or you can go into primary care.

Reactions: 3 users
I somewhat disagree with that as many of the applicants who get into this quandary have, what might be best described as, "acceptance remorse." They apply thinking that they will take any school but then waiver when a DO offer comes in but no MD acceptance. I have seen this too many times which is why I am not a fan of applying both DO and MD on a first cycle. Even applicants who seem mature and rational at the beginning of the cycle, even older professional nontrads, sometimes become pools of blathering idiocy and self-perceived illusions of acceptance grander for the next cycle.
Eh, I dunno- I'm happy I didn't waste a year. Mostly. I know a lot of people aren't but so long as I match I'll never have truly regretted my decision.

Yeah I have the same opinion as mad jack, but i applied to both knowing I preferred a do school to playing the premed game for a second longer. I think if someone knows what their priorities are and is honest with themself they should apply both. Tons of people don't have that stuff straight and I'd expect them to wind up as goniff describes

The moral of the story: don't attend interviews to schools you will not attend unless you've already got an acceptance elsewhere and you're dying to waste some money.

Or withdrawal your application before they are able to accept you.

Reactions: 1 users

This is probably more of an exception than a general rule. Unless you have a plan to improve your application, applying to MD and DO the first time is best. Otherwise, the next year you have to answer the application questions about being a re-applicant. The time between finding out you're not accepted to any MD schools and the start of the next application cycle is so short that it makes improving the application in a meaningful way very difficult. Essentially, this makes you take another year off or apply to DO schools the following year. Might as well do both together.