This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mariposas905

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Usually, you get an MPH to do your own thing so that doesn't really matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you please elaborate what you mean by this?

Usually, you get an MPH to enhance your understanding of the health care system and the struggles affecting populations as the classes you take for an MPH are usually things like statistics, epidemiology, etc. Things that teach you more generally about health. It doesn't apply too much to individual treatment but people get it if they want to open their own practice or want to create a public program. Things like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Look for CEPH accreditation (it is the public health accreditation group equivalent to LCME for medical schools). Depending on your specific interest in public health some schools might be stronger than others and offer more courses and practice locations in the your specific area of interest within public health (e.g. global health, social-behavioral science, environmental health science/occupational health, etc).

Reactions: 2 users
Look for CEPH accreditation (it is the public health accreditation group equivalent to LCME for medical schools). Depending on your specific interest in public health some schools might be stronger than others and offer more courses and practice locations in the your specific area of interest within public health (e.g. global health, social-behavioral science, environmental health science/occupational health, etc).

Completely agree with the wise LizzyM

I've had a lot of training and exposure in the public health field and CEPH accreditation is certainly important. Honestly, even top MPH programs are not that hard to be accepted into as a med student/medical professional, so I'd aim high, like at the top public health schools like Hopkins, Harvard, and Columbia if the "price is right."

Reactions: 1 users
Completely agree with the wise LizzyM

I've had a lot of training and exposure in the public health field and CEPH accreditation is certainly important. Honestly, even top MPH programs are not that hard to be accepted into as a med student/medical professional, so I'd aim high, like at the top public health schools like Hopkins, Harvard, and Columbia if the "price is right."

That being said, it doesn't factor into things like getting into residency too much.

I would say that is too absolute. Depending on the research, concentration, and other factors in any residency program, an MPH may be a large plus for residency. For example, if the residency program has faculty or connection to some large population study or research on outcomes of new treatment, I could see an MPH having a leg up.
So it seems like that while we don't usually say that the degree to which "prestige" and connections affect undergraduate --> medical school admissions too much, residencies are a different beast. Is it safe to say that "connections" (in the form of prestige or otherwise) factor much more heavily in the medical school --> residency admission process?

So, in @mariposas905's case, while admission to medical school might not be that effected by the top-tier MPH, her admission to residencies could be influenced by a top-school's MPH?

So it seems like that while we don't usually say that the degree to which "prestige" and connections affect undergraduate --> medical school admissions too much, residencies are a different beast. Is it safe to say that "connections" (in the form of prestige or otherwise) factor much more heavily in the medical school --> residency admission process?

So, in @mariposas905's case, while admission to medical school might not be that effected by the top-tier MPH, her admission to residencies could be influenced by a top-school's MPH?

There are three ways that an MPH could influence residency:

Being strong in epidemiology can give a little boost on Step 1.
Performing well in clerkships including confidently discussing medical literature (knowing the biostats behind the conclusions in a paper) can help set an M3-M4 apart.
Having a research portfolio coming out of med school can help in the match. Having an MPH gives you the skills to design and conduct population health research.

I'm not sure that the prestige of the program makes that much difference; it is what you do with what you know.