13-CNMR in TBR, topic for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UrshumMurshum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't see 13-CNMR listed as a topic on the official MCAT study guide for BS.

Further, my organic chemistry class never covered this topic.

But it's in the TBR and there's some passages associated with it?

Honestly I don't give a crap about 13-CNMR, but is this really something I need to study?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly I don't give a crap about 13-CNMR, but is this really something I need to study?
No one gives a crap about any topic tested on the mcat, but you need to know them in order to have a good score. C-NMR is one of them.

You should at least cover the basics of it, like knowing how many peaks you will expect to see given a specific molecule. But I'm not going over the shift values. IR and H+ NMR are bad enough.

No one gives a crap about any topic tested on the mcat, but you need to know them in order to have a good score. C-NMR is one of them.

You speak the truth. Well with the possible exception of some topics in anatomy and physiology.

Honestly I'm just reading the page from TBR and not doing any passages. Forget memorizing any shift values from C13NMR. If it's not on the study guide it's not going to be on the test. AAMC is an honorable institution.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should do those untimed 3 passages. That will make sure you remember a lot of the aspects. I'm not doing the passages passages, the real ones, but the intro 3 should be done IMO.

It's actually no longer in the BR books. It was removed from the latest edition after evaluating its utility and considering its absense from the AAMC topic list for a few years now. The only thing that was useful to know was the symmetry aspects. An 8-carbon molecule with six C13 NMR signals must have some symmetry (equivalent carbons).