130 views and only two replies ??? wonder what all these forums are about !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scavenger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i started a thread about a verrrrry basic and simple question for cardiologists in cardiology forum , about possibility of having fellowship in general cardiology or subspeciality without internal medicine residency in USA....
knowing that upon this info i may proceed in USMLE steps or find an alternative route other than USA , this is an important info for me!!
realy dissapointed no one has the willing to offer a useful and totally basic tip to another person!!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, we are just a bunch of cardiologists, fellows, and residents. We are not the ABIM or ACGME. They do answer questions when asked. Do you need the links, or can you use google?

Well, we are just a bunch of cardiologists, fellows, and residents. We are not the ABIM or ACGME. They do answer questions when asked. Do you need the links, or can you use google?

I already sent that question to them, and they cant answer, but i should check every program for its requirements, already suffering to find the correct links for these programs!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Every cardiologist or fellow I know is either US trained, or foreign grad who completed a US IM residency and the USMLE. I would think that you would have to pursue the steps first, but I'm dealing with a relatively small sample size. I am pretty sure though that you can't sit for the cardiology boards without completing a US residency and the IM boards. But again, I am no authority, and probably have no idea what I'm talking about. Perhaps you could contact some program directors at programs where people you know have gone and ask them?

My understanding is that you cannot generally be board certified in cardiology without being board certified in internal medicine. To be board certified in internal medicine you have to have done US IM residency for 3 years and then take the ABIM certification exam for internal medicine. I have heard of academic institutions taking on faculty who are foreign trained, who are famous and well known in their fields. I am not sure how they are allowed to practice (clinically) however. They must have gotten some sort of special dispensation. I wouldn't count on that for yourself, however.

I've never met/encountered a cardiologist who practices in the US who didn't do internal medicine residency plus fellowship here in the U.S. If you are looking for a shortcut to do so, I don't think you're going to find it, unless you are a famous biomedical research in the field of cardiology and a fully trained doc in another country on top of that.

dragon , i understand what u say, but I wasnt asking about fellowship to be board certified,, i know that to do that u need IM board,, im talking about interventional cardiology fellowship (for the clinical training itself ) without being eligible for board exam....