130K Gaswork job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lasvegas

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On www.Gaswork.com, did anyone else see the offer for a Pain doc in Logan Utah paying 140K a year with no partnership track? I've been through Logan and it's a nice little town, but not exactly exciting. I can't believe a fellowship trained M.D. would work for this amount - a CRNA does better than this just about anywhere. If the amount is accurate, anyone taking this position is doing a disservice to the profession.

Is it just Utah? Do they have anesthesiologists coming out of their ears? It is the only posting listed for that state.

Members don't see this ad.

Lasvegas said:
On www.Gaswork.com, did anyone else see the offer for a Pain doc in Logan Utah paying 140K a year with no partnership track? I've been through Logan and it's a nice little town, but not exactly exciting. I can't believe a fellowship trained M.D. would work for this amount - a CRNA does better than this just about anywhere. If the amount is accurate, anyone taking this position is doing a disservice to the profession.

Is it just Utah? Do they have anesthesiologists coming out of their ears? It is the only posting listed for that state.

It is actually a salary of $500K, but $360K is earmarked for the LDS. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
This is an advertisement to prove that this is a "job no American will do." The anesthesia management company who posted it wants to hire at 140K per year a Conrad 30 J-1 waver physician. The foreign national or FMG will get his J-1 home country return requirement waived in exchange for working for three years on and H-1B visa at 140K per year. The carrot is that at the end of three years of service the anesthesia management company will sponsor them for a green card (USA permanent resident status). If the H-1B visa worker demands fair pay fair working conditions the employer can fire him. If you or I get fired you can get another job, but the H-1B will loose his right to live in this country, this will make him "out of status" and he will have to leave the USA immediately or risk arrest and deportation. This makes Visa workers' more valuable than the Americans they replace; they are the indentured servant of the anesthesia management company.

Why 140K? The salary was most likely set buy our government with your tax dollars. The DOL (department of labor) has an online OES Immigration Wage Data Which shows that for Anesthesiologist the mean wage is 141K working in a hospital, or 147K working in an office setting, i.e. pain management. The government only requires that employer pay their worker 80% to 90% of the prevailing wages so 140K is very generous of the anesthesia management company. Lucky this aspiring worker is not in Massachusetts since the mean salary for anesthesiologist is 121K in that state.

OES Immigration Wage Data ;
The Occupational Employment Statistics (OES) program conducts a semi-annual mail survey designed to produce estimates of employment and wages for specific occupations. The OES program collects data on wage and salary workers in nonfarm establishments in order to produce employment and wage estimates for about 800 occupations.Employment estimate and mean wage estimates for Anesthesiologist at;

DOL OES survey for Anesthesiologists

Anesthesiologist Employment OES Salary summary

Offices of physicians
$86.89/hr $180,730/year

General medical and surgical hospitals
$68.13/hr $141,700/year

Outpatient care centers
$84.77/hr $176,310/year

Colleges and universities
$47.48/hr $98,760/year

Offices of other health practitioners
$71.14/hr $147,970/year

Looking closely at the advertisement you will also see these clues, no phone number, no e-mail address; they only want to be contacted by mail. They do not list any hospital name. They do not want any Americans to respond since they are advertising as part of the application process for the Conrad 30 visa, which has an October first deadline. They will include in the application of their already chosen H-1B visa worker this advertisement to show that they tried but failed to hire and American so this "a job no Americans will do."

Should someone actual apply they most likely will toss the application in the trash but they may fallow the procedure outlined below at www.zazona.com

Please look at; Subject: How to Hire H-1Bs instead of Americans - For Dummies at
http://www.zazona.com/ShameH1B/JDNewsArchive/2006/1506-2006-06-21.txt

WWW.zazona.com[url] is a great web ...it certified to guarantee a response. :eek:

thanks for a informative post that explains in detail what a lot of us had nebulous conceptions of...strong work

ketamine said:
This is an advertisement to prove that this is a “job no American will do.” The anesthesia management company who posted it wants to hire at 140K per year a Conrad 30 J-1 waver physician. The foreign national or FMG will get his J-1 home country return requirement waived in exchange for working for three years on and H-1B visa at 140K per year. The carrot is that at the end of three years of service the anesthesia management company will sponsor them for a green card (USA permanent resident status). If the H-1B visa worker demands fair pay fair working conditions the employer can fire him. If you or I get fired you can get another job, but the H-1B will loose his right to live in this country, this will make him “out of status” and he will have to leave the USA immediately or risk arrest and deportation. This makes Visa workers’ more valuable than the Americans they replace; they are the indentured servant of the anesthesia management company.

Why 140K? The salary was most likely set buy our government with your tax dollars. The DOL (department of labor) has an online OES Immigration Wage Data Which shows that for Anesthesiologist the mean wage is 141K working in a hospital, or 147K working in an office setting, i.e. pain management. The government only requires that employer pay their worker 80% to 90% of the prevailing wages so 140K is very generous of the anesthesia management company. Lucky this aspiring worker is not in Massachusetts since the mean salary for anesthesiologist is 121K in that state.

OES Immigration Wage Data ;
The Occupational Employment Statistics (OES) program conducts a semi-annual mail survey designed to produce estimates of employment and wages for specific occupations. The OES program collects data on wage and salary workers in nonfarm establishments in order to produce employment and wage estimates for about 800 occupations.Employment estimate and mean wage estimates for Anesthesiologist at;

DOL OES survey for Anesthesiologists

Anesthesiologist Employment OES Salary summary

Offices of physicians
$86.89/hr $180,730/year

General medical and surgical hospitals
$68.13/hr $141,700/year

Outpatient care centers
$84.77/hr $176,310/year

Colleges and universities
$47.48/hr $98,760/year

Offices of other health practitioners
$71.14/hr $147,970/year

Looking closely at the advertisement you will also see these clues, no phone number, no e-mail address; they only want to be contacted by mail. They do not list any hospital name. They do not want any Americans to respond since they are advertising as part of the application process for the Conrad 30 visa, which has an October first deadline. They will include in the application of their already chosen H-1B visa worker this advertisement to show that they tried but failed to hire and American so this “a job no Americans will do.”

Should someone actual apply they most likely will toss the application in the trash but they may fallow the procedure outlined below at www.zazona.com

Please look at; Subject: How to Hire H-1Bs instead of Americans - For Dummies at
http://www.zazona.com/ShameH1B/JDNewsArchive/2006/1506-2006-06-21.txt

WWW.zazona.com[url] is a great web ...ied the guarantee a response. :eek:[/QUOTE]

is this the add?

Last edited:
Amazing..... I did not know this type of thing went on. I wonder how many foreign grads actually go for this type of gig. Your fate is pretty much in their hands. Unbelieveable...

Now, there is a second add on gaswork for a pain doctor in UTAH, most likely the same job but with a slightly lower salary and phone number to call the recruiter....

I say blackball physicians that tk up jobs for that little pay. These recruiters are clearly trying to create a competitive job environment where docs fight against each other for less pay. By ostracizing those that tk these jobs, it'll be a severe consequence for those that tk the job.

This is an advertisement to prove that this is a "job no American will do." The anesthesia management company who posted it wants to hire at 140K per year a Conrad 30 J-1 waver physician. The foreign national or FMG will get his J-1 home country return requirement waived in exchange for working for three years on and H-1B visa at 140K per year. The carrot is that at the end of three years of service the anesthesia management company will sponsor them for a green card (USA permanent resident status). If the H-1B visa worker demands fair pay fair working conditions the employer can fire him. If you or I get fired you can get another job, but the H-1B will loose his right to live in this country, this will make him "out of status" and he will have to leave the USA immediately or risk arrest and deportation. This makes Visa workers' more valuable than the Americans they replace; they are the indentured servant of the anesthesia management company. :

Lawyers in a how-to video: as in how to avoid hiring an American

from;

http://www.networkworld.com/community/?q=node/16421

also on you-tube

programmers guild;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCbFEgFajGU

Lou Dobbs story;

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Bsp2V3ifZjM

Lawyers in a how-to video: as in how to avoid hiring an American

"Watch this video and keep it in mind the next time you hear a high-tech industry titan such as Bill Gates complain that he simply cannot find qualified American employees and therefore the country needs more H-1B visas: You'll see a panel discussion that looks like a sit-down with "the families" on The Sopranos, only instead of talking about organized crime these lawyers are discussing the ins and outs of helping employers side-step immigration law.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCbFEgFajGU

The objective, says Lawrence Lebowitz, vice president of marketing at Cohen & Grigsby, couldn't be more straightforward.

"Our goal is clearly not to find a qualified U.S. worker ... our objective is to get this person a green card," Lebowitz tells his audience.

And how does an employer go about doing that in light of the legal obligation to first search for a qualified American? It's all about where you search, he says.

"Clearly we are not going to find a place where the applicants are most numerous, we're going to find a place where - again we're complying with the law - and hoping and likely not to find qualified worker applicants," Lebowitz says.

And if despite looking in all the wrong places a gem of an American candidate pops up anyway?

"If someone looks like they are very qualified, if necessary schedule an interview; go through the whole process to find a legal basis to disqualify them," he says.

That's just a taste; there are lots more.

Lebowitz prefaced that first remark - the one about the objective being "not to find a qualified U.S. worker" - by saying, "this may sound funny."

Don't know about anyone else, but I didn't even crack a smile. It doesn't sound funny. It sounds like it ought to be illegal. At the very least, it sounds like Congress should be tightening the screws on current law before increasing the number of H-1Bs.