This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

piii

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I, too, shared the same concern after matching into Rads this past season. Did I make the right choice? I consider myself a people person and enjoyed building rapport with patients as a med student. But trust me - one month into my prelim medicine year and I'm already over it. I round 3 times a day (sometimes 4) on the same patients a day, deal with social work bs more often than not, and put up with difficult patients on a daily basis. I'm officially counting down to PGY2 year...388 days left!

Reactions: 1 users
Why would you round on a patient 4 times. That doesn’t even make sense. If you really need to see them repeatedly you better be calling the ICU.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I was one of those people who liked patient contact and still went into Rads. It was tough transitioning from prelim medicine intern year into radiology residency. But you'll get used it. Hang in there!

Reactions: 1 users
Why would you round on a patient 4 times. That doesn’t even make sense. If you really need to see them repeatedly you better be calling the ICU.

I pre-round in the AM, then with resident, then with attendings, then afternoon rounds. Welcome to Prelim Medicine year

Reactions: 1 user
I pre-round in the AM, then with resident, then with attendings, then afternoon rounds. Welcome to Prelim Medicine year

Sounds like a colossal waste of time.

I did my medicine year. Big, academic, tertiary, trauma, covered 4 surrounding states. That’s not how it works. I can’t tell if you’re inept or a liar.

Cool man, I'm happy for you that you had an awesome sauce intern year experience. I happen to be at the 2nd busiest safety net hospitals in NYC (after Bellevue) serving one of the most diverse neighborhoods in the world. Step out of your box and realize medicine is practiced in more than one way.

Reactions: 2 users
There is room for most radiologists to have at least some exposure to patients/procedures, and outside of academics you usually have to cover some procedures.

You can avoid patient contact almost completely by doing ER radiology or teleradiology, or you can do something with a lot of patient contact like IR/NeuroIR, moderate amount like Breast, or small amount like MSK/Neuro/Nucs.

Body and Chest can have patient contact too sometimes, although depends on whether they do their own biopsies/drainages or if that is covered by IR.

And in PP, you will usually do a bit of everything.

I did my medicine year. Big, academic, tertiary, trauma, covered 4 surrounding states. That’s not how it works. I can’t tell if you’re inept or a liar.

Dude.

Different hospitals do things different ways.

I didn’t round that many times on my patients either (just by myself, then with attending), but that doesn’t mean he’s incompetent or a liar, just that the culture in his hospital was different.

If you really can’t imagine any hospital being that way, you probably haven’t seen many hospitals. A lot of variation by institution and by attending.

10 minutes a patient. 10 patients. 4 times.
= 6.6 hours / day.

This does not include the part of attending rounds when he wants to really “connect with the patient.” This adds another 10-20 minutes per patient.

No beef with style differences. Just beef with realities that don’t exist.

10 minutes a patient. 10 patients. 4 times.
= 6.6 hours / day.

This does not include the part of attending rounds when he wants to really “connect with the patient.” This adds another 10-20 minutes per patient.

No beef with style differences. Just beef with realities that don’t exist.

I mean, it’s not inconceivable. I did a surgical internship and not uncommonly round on a patient 4 times a day. Usually it was pre-round, round with the chief residents, round with attendings if they chose to do so (which was about half or slightly less than half of the time), then an afternoon round. Throw in another if they were sick or we wanted to get them out of there. It was much shorter than an average of 10 minutes.

You can see patients and spend more time in the hospital or not see patients and spend more time with family. Sure, IR sounds glorious and mammo sounds admirable... but when you realize your private practice subsidizes your RVUs (which are less) and you take more call (speaking more for IR), then that stuff becomes less important.

But it’s not like we don’t get contact with people. They just tend to be clinicians and techs. You can still be a patient advocate and all that.

Full disclosure—- I received a thank you card from a patient that I did procedures on when I was leaving fellowship for PP. So this is not to discourage you from doing what you want, just to give perspective of what you may care about 7 years from now

Guys I assune some of you might be knowing something about my query :

After applying to prelim year during match and completing it we apply for Radio match again the next year by going through the application process all over again with the change in CV being that prelim year we add ? Can someone simplify the whole process for an IMG to radio.