Quantcast

-

Start Med School in 2023! Free Accepted Webinar!
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vrazzles

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a junior at an Ivy, planning to apply next year. I've been doing biochem research since my freshman year in a well known lab at my school. So far, I've gone to conferences and given poster presentations, but still no publication! I was mainly wondering if this would be looked down upon, since I am likely applying to many top tier, research heavy schools. A lot of people around me brag about their 20+ publications in Cell and Nature. But to me, it just seems like getting a publication is largely out of the student's control. Another thing. During high school and up to the summer before I started college, I worked in a biochemistry lab at UChicago. However, earlier this year I got my name on a publication from my old lab. It was work I did during high school, but the publication came after I started college. Given that it takes time to accumulate data and write a paper, is this still relevant to medical schools?
If someone brags to you about having 20 publications in cell/nature as an undergrad, they are blowing smoke up your ***. Your publication is still relevant and should be listed. Even at many top schools, a plurality of students don't have a publication.

Reactions: 1 users

JeSuisUnDoc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
It doesn’t matter when you got the publication, it is and will always be relevant.

It is rare to get a publication in undergrad so I assume getting it in high school is even unheard of so congrats

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reaction score
I'm currently a junior at an Ivy, planning to apply next year. I've been doing biochem research since my freshman year in a well known lab at my school. So far, I've gone to conferences and given poster presentations, but still no publication! I was mainly wondering if this would be looked down upon, since I am likely applying to many top tier, research heavy schools. A lot of people around me brag about their 20+ publications in Cell and Nature. But to me, it just seems like getting a publication is largely out of the student's control. Another thing. During high school and up to the summer before I started college, I worked in a biochemistry lab at UChicago. However, earlier this year I got my name on a publication from my old lab. It was work I did during high school, but the publication came after I started college. Given that it takes time to accumulate data and write a paper, is this still relevant to medical schools?
If you are a named author on a paper from research work done in HS, it is a publication worth listing on your med school application.

Reactions: 1 users