This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vanillamilkshake

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
still plan on going to med school, if for no other reason than because I did NOT go through organic chemistry and genetics and take the MCAT just for all of that to go to waste
. Evaluate your priorities and decide if medicine is right for you. Don’t go into medicine just because you already took the mcat..it’s a sunk cost my friend. Better to have wasted a month studying for the mcat than 4 years +residency +200-400k in loans just to find out you were right all along and didn’t want to go into medicine

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with the response above. Do not go to medical school just because you took organic chemistry and the MCAT. Change your trajectory now, or the further down the medicine road you go, the more you'll think, "Well, I already put this much time/effort/money in, I may as well keep going" despite not being happy.

Members don't see this ad :)
And what are my options for branching into finance? Doing an MBA? Trying to meet people in the field? Redoing undergrad for a business major?
Redoing an undergrad probably isn't necessary. MBA sounds like a smart move, as well as meeting and talking to people in the field. I agree with @Medpossible that if you can find a way to tie in your interests in finance to healthcare or medicine, that could potential help you make indirect use of your premed education.

If you actually want to get into finance then don't go to med school. That being said it seems like you have no idea what a finance career will look like and also you are way behind the 8 ball on getting into the field.

You really don't need a passion for medicine or science to go into this field. I didn't have a passion for science, medicine, or helping people but medicine seemed somewhat interesting, I liked the prestige associated with an MD, and the money seemed good. Overall I'm happy with my decision. At the end of the day I work 40-60 hours a week, have most weekends and holidays off, and make a lot of money.

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 user
You really don't need a passion for medicine or science to go into this field. I didn't have a passion for science, medicine, or helping people but medicine seemed somewhat interesting, I liked the prestige associated with an MD, and the money seemed good. Overall I'm happy with my decision. At the end of the day I work 40-60 hours a week, have most weekends and holidays off, and make a lot of money.
What most of us think but can’t say when were asked “why medicine” at an interview haha

Reactions: 2 users
And what are my options for branching into finance? Doing an MBA? Trying to meet people in the field? Redoing undergrad for a business major?

If you are interested in Finance, you can consider a MS in Finance program. I would recommend that you look into a full time MS in Finance program (not online or part-time) with an internship built in so that you can get that valuable experience. Alternatively, you can consider MBA program with Finance concentration. In general, MS in Finance program usually requires less or very little work experiences for admission, as compared to a MBA program.

As for finance, if you are interested in it because you can make a lot of money and do not really know a lot about the field, I highly recommend that you spend some time shadowing people that work in finance so that you know what you are getting yourself into. It would not be good if you start your MBA program or MS in Finance program and later decide that finance is not for you.

To the OP: Don't go to medical school. Instead get a job. This will serve several purposes. One, you will get some work experience which is never a bad thing. Even though you are not sure what your future holds, getting a job will give you valuable experience that may help you figure out what you want to do. Two, you will make some money and have some independence which is an amazing feeling and will change the way you see yourself, and life in general. And three, you can develop professional contacts, and expand your network. In most fields, (including medicine) the further along you get the less people care about where you went to school and the more they care about who/what you are all about. Get a job. Figure things out as you go.

Remember, MANY students are feeling the same thing that you are feeling. MOST of them do not change course and wind up wasting years of their lives doing things that they find unfulfilling. Get done with college, and finish strong with the best grades that you can muster. Then, get a job, and start your life. You can always go. to medical school in a few years if you feel like it. Heck, the extra "life experience" and work experience will probably help you get in and do well once you are in. But seriously, get a job.