This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

waren54321

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello! I'm an FMG --well, not yet since I'm still a medical student, but I'll be graduating next year so I'm almost there!

I want to do Internal Medicine on USA, and I'm currently building my application.

Starting this year, my University offered us a 1-month away rotation on Texas and Miami. Without thinking I took it since it was a way to obtain USCE and I currently have 0. Now, I don't know which state I should pick. I googled both options, but I don't get much info. These are the options:
  • Miami: Palmetto General Hospital.
  • Texas (4 hospitals): Valley Baptist Medical Center (Brownsville and Harlingen), Valley Regional Medical Center and Harlingen Medical Center.
I don't get how the Texas rotation works, since there's just 1 doctor for all of that. Maybe he works in all 4?

I didn't know which one to pick, so I researched both of my 2 possible preceptors in each state, and it looks like the doctor in Miami has more work in research fields so I chose that (I can still change it, but I have until monday though).

I would like to get a strong LOR from this away rotation since I have none and it could be my only chance at getting one from an US MD.

Any tips on how should I approach this? Is there maybe a website/resource that US med students have in which they rate away rotations?

Thank you very much for your time.

There are a lot of threads on SDN talking about away rotations. Do some searches here.

To impress preceptor in one month is always a bit hard, my suggestion is:

1. find out how your preceptor's working pattern is (what time to arrive, what he/she asks first in AM, how he/she does rounds if with residents, etc)
2. get there early, ask for help from residents, treat it and yourself as a subI, answer as much as you can
3. of course, maintain good relationships with preceptor and residents, send them a gift before leaving if possible
4. if he is research-heavy, read about his work, express the interest of getting involved in his work (it's good way to keep a long time contact)

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.