This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gohuskies123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
n/a

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I am a junior currently intending to apply this upcoming cycle and I am hoping to have a better idea of what my chances are at the schools that I intend to apply to as I do know that I have competitive stats but particularly the schools that I am out of state for such as UCLA, UCSF, or OHSU. Let me know what you guys think!

Overall GPA: ~3.6
Science GPA: ~3.5
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: ~3.5
DAT score: 26 AA, 24 TS, 20 PAT
Major: Biochemistry
State of Residence: Washington State

Shadowing Experience:
100 overall, 25 with General (going to boost this number a little before applying to about 50 hopefully), 50 with pediatric dentists, 25 with an endodontist, and 25 with an orthodontist
Volunteering Experience:
200ish hours total
1) Special Olympics (40 Hours)
2) Homeless shelter work (60 hours) --this is currently what I am involved with
3) Volunteering at a local hospital (40 hours)
4) Coaching tennis at a local club (60 hours)
Research:
500ish research hours
1) Neurology Research @ UW Medical Center (300 hours). Presented a poster presentation at 2 research symposiums
2) Human Biology/Microbiology Research @ Fred Hutch RC (200 hours)
Other Extracurriculars:
Several leadership positions within my sorority
Club tennis member since starting college
Involved within my community for putting on cultural events

School list:
UCLA
USC
UOP
UCSF
UW
OHSU
Midwestern AZ
UNLV
UPenn
-possibly adding more later

Thanks in advance!
Congratulations on all you've done on the metrics side of things. You should be a shoe-in for UW interview (with that DAT score, we'll see with that GPA, but fairly confident) if your application is prepared well-enough. As for out-of-state, I think you have a good shot along the coast or in the timezone. I'm not sure whether cross-country is really worth it unless you have really done your homework with outreach to other students and recruiters. For sure your application will be strong with the private OOS schools.