This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hypothermia

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
UC Irvine accepts few non residents with no connection to the state. You should receive several interviews from the other schools on your list. You could add Rochester, Pittsburgh, Mount Sinai.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok I will read more about UC Irvine. Does living and working in the state previously count as a connection to it?

Also do you think my list is too top heavy?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
If you grew up in CA and graduated from high school there or attended UC Irvine for undergraduate school then that would be a significant connection.

You do have some reaches and do not put much hope in the CA schools (where even CA residents have a hard time gaining an acceptance). However, your Illinois schools are where your best chances are.

Ya you’re right, I’ll take Rush off the list. Any other schools you’d recommend adding or taking off?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
I’m glad you are taking Rush off. They expect several hundred hours in the clinical and nonclinical areas(if not thousands). Where do you live in IL? SIU has a pretty definite geographical area they draw their students from. (South of I80.) So check that out. And what about UOfI ? Why isn’t that on your list?

Remove Oregon, UCI, and U Arizona (Tucson) for heavy IS bias.

I am an Illinois resident, any advice is appreciated!

cGPA: 3.65 in Electrical Engineering from a state school
sGPA: 3.86
MCAT: 517
Research:
~1000hrs, will be close to 2000hrs for projected
-1 mid-author publication in a high impact journal.

Clinical:
~100hr volunteer Staff Support In ER. Projected to be about 200hr by matriculation. Unable to continue this for now [COVID]
Shadowing:
-35hrs shadowing 3 different specialties. I would like more but [COVID]..
Non-Clinical Volunteering:
-70 hours fundraising over 4 yrs
-60 hrs volunteer tutoring for homeless children in underserved population in underserved area (1yr)

Other factors:
-Non traditional, switching from engineering career: two years experience working in engineering field.
-A few cool engineering projects

My school list is unpolished and I was hoping I could get some advice about it. Which GPA should I use when compiling a school list since mine are pretty far apart?
Any schools that you all think I should take off or add?
Do any schools particularly like non-trads or engineers besides Carle?

School list:

In state:

-UIllinois Carle
-Loyola
-Rosalind Franklin
-Feinberg
-Southern IL
-UChicago Pritzker
-Rush?

OOS:
-UCLA
-UCSD
-UCSF
-USC
-Stanford
-UCIrvine

-UColorado
-WashU
-Case
-MC Wisconsin
-Madison WI
-Michigan
-Oregon
-UArizona
-Einstein
-Wake Forest
-Miami
-Baylor
-UIowa
-GW
-Georgetown

Rush will want more community service hours.

Get rid of UCI, Oregon, Arizona, Rush... consider dropping Baylor and maybe one of the other UCs

consider adding - Rochester, BU, Pitt, Mt. Sinai, Tufts, Tulane, Temple, Jefferson, Cornell