This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

medstudent5113

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Outside of the NRMP, there's no match violation. There aren't that many spots that are outside the match in the first place. You also would have signed an employment contract with your first position, so you'd need to address any concerns there. But yes, you could do this.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, with the employment contract.... I was just going to be honest and say sorry I can't go there and another opportunity came up like some people do for regular jobs.

Be careful with this.

You signed a contract with that residency. You interviewed and told them you would like to go there and practice medicine for x years. Now, 6 months later, you're asking them to release you from that contract because you would rather be somewhere else. They probably will - no one wants a resident who doesn't want to be there - but it's a huge hassle because now they have to find another candidate in a month.

Be careful with this.

You signed a contract with that residency. You interviewed and told them you would like to go there and practice medicine for x years. Now, 6 months later, you're asking them to release you from that contract because you would rather be somewhere else. They probably will - no one wants a resident who doesn't want to be there - but it's a huge hassle because now they have to find another candidate in a month.

Which, regardless of the ethics of the OPs decision, will probably be easy given the number of people that did not match.

I certainly would not attempt it without a contract from the second place in front of me.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.