This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heartbreaker0987

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. I am aware that AMCAS will not verify my foreign transcripts towards my GPA, therefore my entire GPA will be based on the DIY postbacc classes. My only question is that if I do well in all my postbacc classes and end up with cGPA and sGPA of 3.9+ on AMCAS, will ADCOMs consider this as the same as a traditional US undergrad student who has a 3.9+? Because I won't be completing a degree, I'll be doing a DIY postbacc.
4. I've seen a lot of schools require 3 years of undergrad in the US to apply, does 2 fall terms + 2 summer terms + 2 spring terms = 6 terms total = 3 years?
I think you'll be fine as long as you have the requisite 90 credits that most schools require. But it looks like you won't have that by the time you apply. A quick look at GWU and Georgetown shows they both require at least 90 credits at the time of matriculation or application, respectively.
2. I know I have quite a bit of non-clinical volunteering+work experience. But as a social worker is it enough to have my job and just focus on obtaining shadowing hours? Or do I need to also pursue clinical volunteering unless I became a social worker at a hospital?
Whether or not you end up working at a hospital as a social worker, you need about 40-50 primary care shadowing hours because social work and medicine are two completely different worlds.

Your volunteering will be sufficient as long as it's in service-to-the-poor and more hands-on type than fundraising type.
3. In terms of research, I've done an undergrad and graduate dissertation which were year long research projects, but not much else. Do I need to do more and if so, how should I go about doing that?
Non-trads don't necessarily need research
5. Does it matter if I complete the prereqs at two different universities? I want to keep costs at a minimum by doing a DIY postbacc. I live in the DC metro area and want to take summer courses at George Mason University (GMU) because I am in state and fall/spring courses at UMD Science in the Evening (SIE) Program as they charge instate those terms.
In your particular situation, this should be ok. But, again, you need more than the 40 or so credits you've listed that you'll be taking.
6. I read on various sites that Physics II and Org Chem II are not necessary for the MCAT, should I still take them? On that note, do I need to take one Math class and one English class? I've done a lot of Psych/Soc so I think I'll be able to self-study that. But again trying to keep costs at a minimum.
You should probably take them all anyway since you'll need the credits.

heartbreaker0987 said:
Hi everyone!

I am a social worker, I graduated with my Master's last year and work for a homelessness non-profit in a major city. I have always wanted to apply to American medical schools but both my Bachelor's and my Master's were done in the UK...meaning they don't count towards US MD admissions.

The whole current state of the world has made me realize even after pursuing an alternative "helping/caring" profession with social work, medicine is still is truly what I want to do and I shouldn't let the fact that I'll be nearly 40 by the time I'm an attending stop me.

I am looking for some advice to map out a plan out for the prereqs, MCAT and necessary clinical exposure and shadowing. I have a few questions:

1. I am aware that AMCAS will not verify my foreign transcripts towards my GPA, therefore my entire GPA will be based on the DIY postbacc classes. My only question is that if I do well in all my postbacc classes and end up with cGPA and sGPA of 3.9+ on AMCAS, will ADCOMs consider this as the same as a traditional US undergrad student who has a 3.9+? Because I won't be completing a degree, I'll be doing a DIY postbacc.

2. I know I have quite a bit of non-clinical volunteering+work experience. But as a social worker is it enough to have my job and just focus on obtaining shadowing hours? Or do I need to also pursue clinical volunteering unless I became a social worker at a hospital?

3. In terms of research, I've done an undergrad and graduate dissertation which were year long research projects, but not much else. Do I need to do more and if so, how should I go about doing that?

4. I've seen a lot of schools require 3 years of undergrad in the US to apply, does 2 fall terms + 2 summer terms + 2 spring terms = 6 terms total = 3 years?

5. Does it matter if I complete the prereqs at two different universities? I want to keep costs at a minimum by doing a DIY postbacc. I live in the DC metro area and want to take summer courses at George Mason University (GMU) because I am in state and fall/spring courses at UMD Science in the Evening (SIE) Program as they charge instate those terms.

6. I read on various sites that Physics II and Org Chem II are not necessary for the MCAT, should I still take them? On that note, do I need to take one Math class and one English class? I've done a lot of Psych/Soc so I think I'll be able to self-study that. But again trying to keep costs at a minimum.

My tentative 3 year plan is:

Summer 2020 - GMU
Gen Chem I + Lab
Gen Chem II + Lab

Fall 2020 – UMD SIE
Org Chem I + Lab
Cellular and Molecular Biology + Lab

Spring 2021 – UMD SIE
Org Chem II + Lab
Microbiology or Genetics or A&P (whichever is more useful for MCAT)

Summer 2021 – GMU
Physics I + Lab
Physics II + Lab

Fall 2021 – UMD SIE
-Biochem
-Cell Biology & Physiology

Spring 2022
-Ask UMD SIE for Committee Letter
-take MCAT
-get primary apps ready

Summer 2022 to Summer 2023 – Glide year while I apply
-continue working as a social worker
-secondaries
-interviews

Fall 2023 – Hopeful matriculant!

Does this look good? Any input or advice would be very useful...thank you!
1. They should
2. Obtain clinical volunteering hours
3. No, not nec, but if you can squeeze it in more research is always better than less research--not at the cost of your GPA, though.
4. Sure, but I would make sure that you have all the prereqs complete before you apply
5. Doesn't matter
heartbreaker0987 said:
I read on various sites that Physics II and Org Chem II are not necessary for the MCAT, should I still take them? On that note, do I need to take one Math class and one English class? I've done a lot of Psych/Soc so I think I'll be able to self-study that. But again trying to keep costs at a minimum.
Quoting you again bc this is so important--Physics II and Ochem II are ABSOLUTELY necessary for the MCAT. DON'T skip them at any cost. Helpful math classes: precalc (you don't nec. need calculus), stats, trig, etc. You need 1 year of English according to AMCAS; I think it's the same for AACOMAS but would verify this on the AACOMAS website rather than take someone's word from this website. Skip studying for these important classes at your own cost:

1. Physics I & II
2. Ochem I & II
3. Gen chem I & II
4. Genetics
5. Biochem
6. Bio I & II
7. Microbiology
8. Cell bio
9. English I & II
(not nec. in this order)

Hope this helps.

Good advice given so far, but don't even try to find research right now or in the near future. Most research is either shutdown, on hiatus, filled with med students, or being rarely done from home by traditional premeds. Non-trads have much more to offer than research so unless you're going for T20s then don't worry about it.