• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

aSagacious

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2010
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
As an undergrad you typically need minimal coursework. The reason is anything you learn in an intro course won't scrape the surface of any research project. Your PI is very far down a rabbit hole. When you join the lab (s)he'll assign you a bunch of journal articles to read which will catch you up to speed. Your tasks will generally be straightforward and you will get told exactly what to do when getting trained. For example, many labs have folders of SOPs for each of their assays.

StudentDoGter

MS1
7+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2014
At my school I was a microbio major, and the lab which I eventually joined required that I got a certain grade in that microbio class and lab in order to be considered for the position. Maybe you could research some of the professors and their research and then email them explaining how you are interested in their lab(s) and ask if they anticipate any openings in the next year or so. I’m sure they will be happy to provide information or advice on getting into a lab at least. Good luck :)

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.