This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueberry4104

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I had 0 non-clinical hours and similar stats. I did fine.

:eek: Well that's a relief... Congrats on the successful cycle! If you don't mind me asking, what do you think was/were the strength(s) of your application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Reinvention and working with the underserved population.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been told in the MD forum that anything under 100 non-clinical hours is pretty weak. Does that also hold true for DO, or is it a little more lenient?

I only have 60 hours tutoring/mentoring under-served youth over the last year. It is a low number because they usually match us with 1-2 students and the meetings are only once a week for an hour. But I can speak about it pretty passionately. I'll also have an additional 30 hours (COVID-19 outreach done over course of only April/May) helping low-income families and the elderly by the time I apply.

My clinical volunteering/experience is stronger, ~500 hours, and some of it involves medically under-served communities. Stats are 3.45/509

Should I be worried that I only have ~90 non-clinical volunteering hours?
Yes, it holds true for DO as well. BUT, your clinical exposure may indeed make up for the lack of nonclinical. Play up the experiences with the medically underserved and what you learned from them.

Reactions: 1 users