This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XyZ1000

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
*If you would, please do not quote this message. Thanks so much!*

Thank you to all who contributed!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have several state public schools on your list that accept few non residents with your MCAT and no connection to the state. Also Brown is a reach with your MCAT. I suggest these schools with your stats:
All of your Florida MD schools
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Albany
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State

Reactions: 1 user
You have several state public schools on your list that accept few non residents with your MCAT and no connection to the state. Also Brown is a reach with your MCAT. I suggest these schools with your stats:
All of your Florida MD schools
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Albany
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State

Thank you so much for your advice and help. I've heard both ways on this and am confused; aren't we advised against applying to Drexel/Rosalind Franklin/George Washington due to low yield? I've seen you suggest these schools to multiple applicants with similar stats to mine; if you have the time and wouldn't mind, could you explain why? Is it simply because with our stats, we ought to take all the chances we can get? Likewise for Wisconsin rarely accepting applicants without ties to the area; is that not true? Thanks either way.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, with your stats you should take all the chances you can get. The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have almost a 80% chances of a MD acceptance. So 20% with your stats will not be accepted. If you want to apply to fewer MD schools then apply to DO schools also since you are competitive for all DO schools. Medical College Wisconsin is a private school and does not have a strong instate preference (matriculated 103 non residents last year).

As a non-science major, your BCP/BCPM GPA and the breakdown of those classes would be important. You had a schedule where you took fewer science classes because of your major, but I want to know what you really took your sophomore+ years. This is where screeners and faculty might vary with opinion and default to past history with similar non-science majors and their premed courseloads. Being rural and having experiences working without others who don't share a similar background to you can be included in discussing the merits of your profile.

As I ask many on the forums, tell me about your networking with current medical students at the schools high on your interest list (through AMSA or via SDN). Have you also connected with admissions staff at those programs? Have you found anyone currently in medical school or recently graduated with similar background as you?

Yes, with your stats you should take all the chances you can get. The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have almost a 80% chances of a MD acceptance. So 20% with your stats will not be accepted. If you want to apply to fewer MD schools then apply to DO schools also since you are competitive for all DO schools. Medical College Wisconsin is a private school and does not have a strong instate preference (matriculated 103 non residents last year).

Thanks, I was just confused because their current MSAR states a preference for those with "strong ties" to the area. I guess the preference just isn't that strong then. Hope you're staying well!

EDIT: Realized I was looking at two out of their three campuses that require strong ties, one does not. My apologies!

Last edited:
Thanks, I was just confused because their current MSAR states a preference for those with "strong ties" to the area. I guess the preference just isn't that strong then. Hope you're staying well!
Are you looking at Medical College of Wisconsin or University of Wisconsin? University of Wisconsin is a state public school. MCW is a private school.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you looking at Medical College of Wisconsin or University of Wisconsin? University of Wisconsin is a state public school. MCW is a private school.

Medical College of Wisconsin, but I just realized they have multiple campuses, two of which recommend strong ties to the state and one of which doesn't.

Reactions: 1 users