.

Faha

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
14,166
6,577
  1. Attending Physician
    You have several state public schools on your list that accept few non residents with your MCAT and no connection to the state. Also Brown is a reach with your MCAT. I suggest these schools with your stats:
    All of your Florida MD schools
    Vermont
    Quinnipiac
    New York Medical College
    Albany
    Seton Hall
    Drexel
    Temple
    Jefferson
    George Washington
    Eastern Virginia
    Wake Forest
    Tulane
    TCU-UNT
    Rosalind Franklin
    Loyola
    Medical College Wisconsin
    Oakland Beaumont
    Wayne State
     
    • Like
    Reactions: 1 user

    XyZ1000

    Full Member
    2+ Year Member
    Nov 3, 2016
    64
    12
      You have several state public schools on your list that accept few non residents with your MCAT and no connection to the state. Also Brown is a reach with your MCAT. I suggest these schools with your stats:
      All of your Florida MD schools
      Vermont
      Quinnipiac
      New York Medical College
      Albany
      Seton Hall
      Drexel
      Temple
      Jefferson
      George Washington
      Eastern Virginia
      Wake Forest
      Tulane
      TCU-UNT
      Rosalind Franklin
      Loyola
      Medical College Wisconsin
      Oakland Beaumont
      Wayne State

      Thank you so much for your advice and help. I've heard both ways on this and am confused; aren't we advised against applying to Drexel/Rosalind Franklin/George Washington due to low yield? I've seen you suggest these schools to multiple applicants with similar stats to mine; if you have the time and wouldn't mind, could you explain why? Is it simply because with our stats, we ought to take all the chances we can get? Likewise for Wisconsin rarely accepting applicants without ties to the area; is that not true? Thanks either way.
       
      Last edited:
      About the Ads

      Faha

      Full Member
      7+ Year Member
      Sep 15, 2012
      14,166
      6,577
      1. Attending Physician
        Yes, with your stats you should take all the chances you can get. The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have almost a 80% chances of a MD acceptance. So 20% with your stats will not be accepted. If you want to apply to fewer MD schools then apply to DO schools also since you are competitive for all DO schools. Medical College Wisconsin is a private school and does not have a strong instate preference (matriculated 103 non residents last year).
         

        Mr.Smile12

        Admissions advisor
        10+ Year Member
        Verified Expert
        Gold Member
        Oct 14, 2011
        7,564
        3,790
        1. Academic Administration
          As a non-science major, your BCP/BCPM GPA and the breakdown of those classes would be important. You had a schedule where you took fewer science classes because of your major, but I want to know what you really took your sophomore+ years. This is where screeners and faculty might vary with opinion and default to past history with similar non-science majors and their premed courseloads. Being rural and having experiences working without others who don't share a similar background to you can be included in discussing the merits of your profile.

          As I ask many on the forums, tell me about your networking with current medical students at the schools high on your interest list (through AMSA or via SDN). Have you also connected with admissions staff at those programs? Have you found anyone currently in medical school or recently graduated with similar background as you?
           

          XyZ1000

          Full Member
          2+ Year Member
          Nov 3, 2016
          64
          12
            Yes, with your stats you should take all the chances you can get. The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have almost a 80% chances of a MD acceptance. So 20% with your stats will not be accepted. If you want to apply to fewer MD schools then apply to DO schools also since you are competitive for all DO schools. Medical College Wisconsin is a private school and does not have a strong instate preference (matriculated 103 non residents last year).

            Thanks, I was just confused because their current MSAR states a preference for those with "strong ties" to the area. I guess the preference just isn't that strong then. Hope you're staying well!

            EDIT: Realized I was looking at two out of their three campuses that require strong ties, one does not. My apologies!
             
            Last edited:

            candbgirl

            Full Member
            15+ Year Member
            Gold Member
          • Jul 14, 2005
            5,634
            5,930
              Thanks, I was just confused because their current MSAR states a preference for those with "strong ties" to the area. I guess the preference just isn't that strong then. Hope you're staying well!
              Are you looking at Medical College of Wisconsin or University of Wisconsin? University of Wisconsin is a state public school. MCW is a private school.
               
              • Like
              Reactions: 1 user

              XyZ1000

              Full Member
              2+ Year Member
              Nov 3, 2016
              64
              12
                Are you looking at Medical College of Wisconsin or University of Wisconsin? University of Wisconsin is a state public school. MCW is a private school.

                Medical College of Wisconsin, but I just realized they have multiple campuses, two of which recommend strong ties to the state and one of which doesn't.
                 
                • Like
                Reactions: 1 users
                About the Ads
                This thread is more than 1 year old.

                Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

                1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                7. This thread is locked.