• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

M&L

Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2018
  1. Medical Student
I think it is always better to be honest. But don't write something just because you think it would make you look good, you know? Just tell them that you grew up where you grew up, and that you want to explore practicing in rural areas more. Just be honest.

About the Ads

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
  1. Academic Administration
You can always say, "while my experiences with rural life are limited having grown up in the shadlow of CitySlickertown, I am drawn to rural and small town life and have sought shadowing experiences to get a better feel for the lifestyle and practice settings of rural physicians." Just be honest about your experiences and your application come across as not trying to be something you aren't.

Reactions: 3 users

XyZ1000

2+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2016
You can always say, "while my experiences with rural life are limited having grown up in the shadlow of CitySlickertown, I am drawn to rural and small town life and have sought shadowing experiences to get a better feel for the lifestyle and practice settings of rural physicians." Just be honest about your experiences and your application come across as not trying to be something you aren't.

Thank you, that is what I was planning to do. I just didn't know if I'd be laughed out the door if I did that and would be better off not mentioning that interest.

XyZ1000

2+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2016
A lot of the above responses have told me to "be honest"-- I don't know what about my OP implied that I was planning to lie, yikes! I was only debating whether to bring up this interest to begin with or whether it would SEEM disingenuous despite being real...

Reactions: 1 user

M&L

Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2018
  1. Medical Student
A lot of the above responses have told me to "be honest"-- I don't know what about my OP implied that I was planning to lie, yikes! I was only debating whether to bring up this interest to begin with or whether it would SEEM disingenuous despite being real...
Oh, it is not because you seemed dishonest! it is because I guess there is a temptation among people to lie about rural medicine just to get foot into the door. And when I personally advised to be honest, I didn't mean that you were dishonest, I meant "be sincere". Like LizzyM said earlier - that you are not sure. That's what I meant.

Reactions: 1 user

XyZ1000

2+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2016
Oh, it is not because you seemed dishonest! it is because I guess there is a temptation among people to lie about rural medicine just to get foot into the door. And when I personally advised to be honest, I didn't mean that you were dishonest, I meant "be sincere". Like LizzyM said earlier - that you are not sure. That's what I meant.

Thanks for clarifying! I was starting to feel weirdly guilty for even bringing it up... I honestly didn't even find out until recently that we weren't "officially rural", when I ask my family they all identify where we live/our lifestyle as such and my town is still labeled by the gov as "not in an urbanized area", so with all the talk of "CitySlickertown" and "be honest" I was really starting to feel like a big fraud. :oops:

Last edited:

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
  1. Academic Administration
Some people will try to B.S. their way into medical school by faking an interest or an experience that is not genuine. I don't believe you are doing that @manusadiutrices but just want to say that if you come off as honest, sincere, and not puffing yourself up to be the most rural candidate who ever completed an AMCAS, schools will see that interest and sincerity and give you every consideration.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

XyZ1000

2+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2016
Some people will try to B.S. their way into medical school by faking an interest or an experience that is not genuine. I don't believe you are doing that @manusadiutrices but just want to say that if you come off as honest, sincere, and not puffing yourself up to be the most rural candidate who ever completed an AMCAS, schools will see that interest and sincerity and give you every consideration.

Thanks for clarifying. Sorry for all the back and forth, I didn't realize this was such a touchy subject. Obviously I still have a lot to learn.

Last edited:
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.