This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grdsx

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am surprised you received only 1 interview with your stats. I suggest these schools when you reapply:
Vermont
Boston University
Tufts
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
Seton Hall
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Case Western
Cincinnati
Ohio State
UVA
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Miami
USF Morsani
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
Tulane
TCU-UNT
St. Louis
Washington University
Western Michigan
Iowa
Illinois
Indiana
California University
Kaiser
California Northstate
The UC's
USC Keck

So I'm comparing your list with what was recommended to you earlier: school list additions - CA/3.77/521 .

My own thoughts from your original description that worry me a bit: where's your community service? As originally described, there's some mention of doing some in your gap time, but very little primary care clinical shadowing and no details on non-clinical volunteering, it's hard to tell.

As it stands, you need a total revamp and refresh of your application if you didn't get much response (and one post-interview rejection). Did your references give you feedback on your PS? Maybe your updated hours will help you overcome these challenges.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your volunteering just checked the boxes, barely, last time around. Now you've got more clinical exposure you should be better off.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I have almost 1000 hours of scribing, which involved going into every patient room and sitting at the same workstation as a physician for 10 hours a day, 3-4 times a week. Wouldn't it be redundant to add shadowing to that?

As for the community service, I would hope that working with the public library's adult literacy program "counts." I really do like working with this program, as it allows me to directly help my fellow first-gen immigrants.
I really don't like the idea of picking up a different activity just to check a box.

Regarding my PS and secondaries, over 15 people from various fields (medicine, finance, tech, design, PoliSci, etc) looked over it last cycle. I doubt that is my problem, either.

Looking at what I see from SDN, my biggest obstacle seems to be the fact that I'm from California.
You need to be assured that your scribing can be a proxy for shadowing. I wouldn't think that would be a problem, but some other adcom member might.

As pointed out before, hopefully the additional experience will really help you this time through.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Yeah. Work the scribing in. Hours for the literacy program are pretty low - it would help a lot if you had like 250. However, you've got an important reason for the volunteering and it could really help support a narrative about being a first generation immigrant and adjusting to American culture. You bring genuine diversity to the table...and that's a way you could potentially present yourself when asked about diversity prompts.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, the hours would've been closer to 100-150, but COVID shut down the public library system in my area.

lowkey pretty disappointed about it, because my learner was making some damn good progress

Is there any way you could connect with this person and offer virtual tutoring?

I'm also shocked about only 1 interview. Hundreds (thousands maybe) of Californians get accepted out of state, especially with high stats. Are you sure your LORs are not pointing something out? Any red flags? How's your secondary writing? Previous application seemed to cover all the bases (even if not remarkable, I don't think your ECs or Cali-status would have limited you to 1 interview). There seems to be something that ADCOMs are seeing that I can't... Try and get someone objective, or even someone that hates you to read everything, it's possible people were being nice about PS/secondaries.