This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredocn

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
50 hours of physician shadowing (including primary care) would help. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Indiana
U Michigan
Western Michigan
Loyola
Illinois
U Chicago
St. Louis
Tulane
Miami
USF Morsani
Vanderbilt
Emory
Duke
UVA
Georgetown
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Boston University
Dartmouth
Brown
USC Keck
Kaiser

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
50 hours of physician shadowing (including primary care) would help. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Indiana
U Michigan
Western Michigan
Loyola
Illinois
U Chicago
St. Louis
Tulane
Miami
USF Morsani
Vanderbilt
Emory
Duke
UVA
Georgetown
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Boston University
Dartmouth
Brown
USC Keck
Kaiser
Thanks a lot, @Faha !

Members don't see this ad :)
Eight hours of physician shadowing would check the box; it's bare bones, but it'd be very good to have that box checked.

Eight hours of physician shadowing would check the box; it's bare bones, but it'd be very good to have that box checked.
I forgot to include that I have some shadowing with a psychiatrist and a general practitioner, but I'll stack up on those hours. Is there anything else that you think is missing from my application? I am afraid I sound like a stereotypical pre-med with no unique qualities.

I forgot to include that I have some shadowing with a psychiatrist and a general practitioner, but I'll stack up on those hours. Is there anything else that you think is missing from my application? I am afraid I sound like a stereotypical pre-med with no unique qualities.

Your ECs are actually decent. The complete absence of shadowing was the only thing that gave me pause. How much shadowing do you have now? If it's like 30 hours, more would be nice but you might be OK as you are. Even if it's 8 hours, that is a good deal better than nothing. There's a couple break points here: having too little of something like clinical experience is lethal. Checking the box checks the box. Having 500+ hours of volunteering looks good. You need to have all the boxes checked to have a shot, and 10-20 hours of shadowing does that.

You have a lot of international experience, so if anything I would try to get more domestic (US) shadowing. You should also do your best on the MCAT and on networking with diversity/student services officers at the schools close to you or high on your wish list. Connect with current students through SNMA/AMSA and see if you can find someone similar to your background who is currently attending medical school.

Your ECs are actually decent. The complete absence of shadowing was the only thing that gave me pause. How much shadowing do you have now? If it's like 30 hours, more would be nice but you might be OK as you are. Even if it's 8 hours, that is a good deal better than nothing. There's a couple break points here: having too little of something like clinical experience is lethal. Checking the box checks the box. Having 500+ hours of volunteering looks good. You need to have all the boxes checked to have a shot, and 10-20 hours of shadowing does that.
Thanks for the feedback! I currently have about 20-25 hours of shadowing, but I can get more hours very soon. What do you think I should do to enhance my extracurricular to make it impressive?

Thanks for the feedback! I currently have about 20-25 hours of shadowing, but I can get more hours very soon. What do you think I should do to enhance my extracurricular to make it impressive?
Properly self-reflect on the meaningfulness of the experiences to your motivation to pursue medicine.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

You have an awesome application and I think you'll have a lot of success with Faha's list above. I would add a few more "reach" schools in NY and California if money is not an obstacle and you want to leave the midwest. At the very least add Northwestern if you are applying to Pritzker

You're good with 20-25 hours of shadowing! Agree with Mr. Smile.

Thank you guys for the feedback! I will make sure to add some safety schools, reflect on my experiences very precisely, I will definitely apply to Northwestern!

Indiana
U Michigan
Western Michigan
Loyola
Illinois
U Chicago
St. Louis
Tulane
Miami
USF Morsani
Vanderbilt
Emory
Duke
UVA
Georgetown
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Boston University
Dartmouth
Brown
USC Keck
Kaiser
Hey @Faha , should I also apply to all HBCU's since I am african?