• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
  1. Attending Physician
50 hours of physician shadowing (including primary care) would help. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Indiana
U Michigan
Western Michigan
Loyola
Illinois
U Chicago
St. Louis
Tulane
Miami
USF Morsani
Vanderbilt
Emory
Duke
UVA
Georgetown
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Boston University
Dartmouth
Brown
USC Keck
Kaiser

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

futuredocn

2+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
50 hours of physician shadowing (including primary care) would help. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Indiana
U Michigan
Western Michigan
Loyola
Illinois
U Chicago
St. Louis
Tulane
Miami
USF Morsani
Vanderbilt
Emory
Duke
UVA
Georgetown
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Boston University
Dartmouth
Brown
USC Keck
Kaiser
Thanks a lot, @Faha !

About the Ads

futuredocn

2+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
Eight hours of physician shadowing would check the box; it's bare bones, but it'd be very good to have that box checked.
I forgot to include that I have some shadowing with a psychiatrist and a general practitioner, but I'll stack up on those hours. Is there anything else that you think is missing from my application? I am afraid I sound like a stereotypical pre-med with no unique qualities.

BlackMathMajor

2+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2018
  1. Pre-Medical
I forgot to include that I have some shadowing with a psychiatrist and a general practitioner, but I'll stack up on those hours. Is there anything else that you think is missing from my application? I am afraid I sound like a stereotypical pre-med with no unique qualities.

Your ECs are actually decent. The complete absence of shadowing was the only thing that gave me pause. How much shadowing do you have now? If it's like 30 hours, more would be nice but you might be OK as you are. Even if it's 8 hours, that is a good deal better than nothing. There's a couple break points here: having too little of something like clinical experience is lethal. Checking the box checks the box. Having 500+ hours of volunteering looks good. You need to have all the boxes checked to have a shot, and 10-20 hours of shadowing does that.

Oct 14, 2011
  1. Academic Administration
You have a lot of international experience, so if anything I would try to get more domestic (US) shadowing. You should also do your best on the MCAT and on networking with diversity/student services officers at the schools close to you or high on your wish list. Connect with current students through SNMA/AMSA and see if you can find someone similar to your background who is currently attending medical school.

futuredocn

2+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
Your ECs are actually decent. The complete absence of shadowing was the only thing that gave me pause. How much shadowing do you have now? If it's like 30 hours, more would be nice but you might be OK as you are. Even if it's 8 hours, that is a good deal better than nothing. There's a couple break points here: having too little of something like clinical experience is lethal. Checking the box checks the box. Having 500+ hours of volunteering looks good. You need to have all the boxes checked to have a shot, and 10-20 hours of shadowing does that.
Thanks for the feedback! I currently have about 20-25 hours of shadowing, but I can get more hours very soon. What do you think I should do to enhance my extracurricular to make it impressive?

Oct 14, 2011
  1. Academic Administration
Thanks for the feedback! I currently have about 20-25 hours of shadowing, but I can get more hours very soon. What do you think I should do to enhance my extracurricular to make it impressive?
Properly self-reflect on the meaningfulness of the experiences to your motivation to pursue medicine.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Ole_Toe

5+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2016
  1. Medical Student
You have an awesome application and I think you'll have a lot of success with Faha's list above. I would add a few more "reach" schools in NY and California if money is not an obstacle and you want to leave the midwest. At the very least add Northwestern if you are applying to Pritzker

futuredocn

2+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
Indiana
U Michigan
Western Michigan
Loyola
Illinois
U Chicago
St. Louis
Tulane
Miami
USF Morsani
Vanderbilt
Emory
Duke
UVA
Georgetown
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Boston University
Dartmouth
Brown
USC Keck
Kaiser
Hey @Faha , should I also apply to all HBCU's since I am african?

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.