This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seals123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Last edited:
First post because I just read advice and this is my first cycle applying, but figured this would be important to post. That's the screenshot of the email for proof.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
No worries! I did a double take too when I got that reply. I don't even know what this means for people submitting primaries without MCATs now.

Last edited:
Holy crap! You have my utmost sincere apology, and I will immediately retract my post doubting you. That is by far the most obnoxious possible response to your inquiry. Whoever drafted it should be fired. I am honestly sorry for doubting you. It just seemed too crazy to be true!!! You are now my hero for sharing that with this community.

If there is any justice, the applicant pool will find itself to be punitive with UCSF, even in the current "seller's market" for med school admissions, and choose to spend their time, effort and money groveling for a seat elsewhere. The process in general grinds us to pieces and treats us like crap, but being that open and in your face about it really does take it to a whole new level.
Dude you seriously need to take a chill pill. First you doubted the OP, now your saying someone should get fired? What's your deal? You really need to give people the benefit of the doubt. I can easily see how the email may have just been written incorrectly. Seriously, the vibe I constantly get from you is that you're very entitled and that's not a good look especially in a sellers market like medicine.

"If there is any justice, the applicant pool will find itself to be punitive with UCSF, even in the current "seller's market" for med school admissions, and choose to spend their time, effort and money groveling for a seat elsewhere. The process in general grinds us to pieces and treats us like crap, but being that open and in your face about it really does take it to a whole new level."

I am guessing you won't be applying to UCSF then?

Last edited:
  • Hmm
I'm guessing they drafted it quickly and made an error. I sincerely doubt they meant to say that they will be punitive towards applicants

Never in a million years.

Pretty sure they meant What I can say is that we understand the difficult times that everyone is facing and we "NOT" are in a position to be punitive or to disadvantage applicants who may not have been able to take the MCAT due to COVID-19 related delays. "

You really need to chill. So sick of people getting triggered by small things.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t think so. Look at their application page.

I mean technically... they are in a position to be possibly punitive LOL

Regardless, I hope it was a typo as well. Otherwise, this would contradict the tone of their website statements which is surprising.

COVID-19 Related Information for 2021 Applicants

Delayed MCAT – UCSF will accept applications from individuals who were unable to take the MCAT due to COVID-related test cancellations. For these candidates, we will base secondary application decisions on the information that is available to us at the time of the application. Assuming that MCAT testing resumes prior to October, we will require applicants to have taken the MCAT before we make admissions decisions for the Class of 2025. If MCAT testing does not resume by October, we will reconsider the requirement. In any case, applicants should not delay applying simply because an MCAT score is not yet available.

Pass/Fail Grades – UCSF will accept pass/fail grades, without prejudice, for courses taken during the COVID-19 pandemic. It has always been our practice to consider grades in the context of numerous other aspects of the application, and an international crisis certainly provides a unique and compelling context. In adopting this policy, we are cognizant of the fact that some undergraduate schools are providing an option for students to take courses either for grades or on a Pass/Fail basis. We therefore want to be explicit that applicants should not feel pressured by UCSF to choose the graded option. Students and their families are facing many challenges at the moment. The pressure for grades need not be one of them.

Online Courses – Many undergraduate schools have gone to online courses during the pandemic. We will accept online courses if they are offered by the school at which the candidate was enrolled prior to the current crisis. For students who are beyond undergraduate school, we will accept online courses undertaken to meet prerequisites regardless of the institution. If you are uncertain about your specific plans, please call the Admissions Office prior to enrolling in the course.

COVID-19 Related Information for 2021 Applicants

Delayed MCAT – UCSF will accept applications from individuals who were unable to take the MCAT due to COVID-related test cancellations. For these candidates, we will base secondary application decisions on the information that is available to us at the time of the application. Assuming that MCAT testing resumes prior to October, we will require applicants to have taken the MCAT before we make admissions decisions for the Class of 2025. If MCAT testing does not resume by October, we will reconsider the requirement. In any case, applicants should not delay applying simply because an MCAT score is not yet available.

Pass/Fail Grades – UCSF will accept pass/fail grades, without prejudice, for courses taken during the COVID-19 pandemic. It has always been our practice to consider grades in the context of numerous other aspects of the application, and an international crisis certainly provides a unique and compelling context. In adopting this policy, we are cognizant of the fact that some undergraduate schools are providing an option for students to take courses either for grades or on a Pass/Fail basis. We therefore want to be explicit that applicants should not feel pressured by UCSF to choose the graded option. Students and their families are facing many challenges at the moment. The pressure for grades need not be one of them.

Online Courses – Many undergraduate schools have gone to online courses during the pandemic. We will accept online courses if they are offered by the school at which the candidate was enrolled prior to the current crisis. For students who are beyond undergraduate school, we will accept online courses undertaken to meet prerequisites regardless of the institution. If you are uncertain about your specific plans, please call the Admissions Office prior to enrolling in the course.
So it looks like this is the policy, and OP should have been directed to this instead of being given any response that deviates.

I am utterly confused by everyone's reaction to this email which is absolutely correct as written, They assume everyone, especially premeds gets the implication of this statement. They acknowledge they have a power in a difficult situation that could be punitive.... meaning they arent going to use. I will make it easier for you all

"What I can say is that we understand ... we are in a position to be punitive or to disadvantage applicants who may not have been able to take the MCAT due to COVID-19 related delays." Do you think the person who wrote that imagine anyone needed the "of course we wouldnt do that" to follow.
After being brow beaten by the group, even I get that it was a typo. Even the electric company doesn't say "tough, you have no choice," and they don't have competition for the customers they REALLY want to sign up for their service!

It would be a terrible look, if true. Obviously, the staffer who wrote it should have just directed OP to the statement on the website. But, no, it would be extremely obnoxious for any representative of any school to be as blunt as you and the other adcoms are here, anonymously, with us. If true, it shouldn't be said at all, as opposed to being followed with a disclaimer.

The adcoms posting here seem to pretty consistently focus on the fact that in the abstract, admissions are extremely competitive, and it's a so-called seller's market. This led to predictions early in the spring that the cycle could be canceled, or that there would be absolutely no accommodations for applicants impacted by the crisis, because schools hold all the power.

That turned out not to be the reality on the ground, because while it's a seller's market in the abstract, there is still intense competition for the top of every school's pool. This is why accommodations are made, why merit scholarships (tuition discounts) exist, even at T5 schools, and why no one who wants to keep their job in any admissions office at any school in the country, from a preschool to a T5 med school, would ever intentionally say something like this, something that you find "absolutely correct as written."

If you are so right, where are all the "too bad, it's a seller's market" statements from all the schools???? Sure, some schools do treat applicants worse than others, and some are less generous with aid than others. And you know what, even though they invariably fill their seats each year, they also invariably disproportionately lose top candidates with choices to other schools each and every year. That's probably why, while all schools produce MDs, some consistently produce better results, regardless of how you want to measure that, than others.

Last edited:
Hi everyone - I just emailed UCSF regarding how their admissions will adjust to delayed transcripts and cancelled or later MCATs.

I received the following back which pretty much confirms everyone's suspicions. I'm not sure what this means for their decisions on who gets a secondary though, since I'm sure they have more than enough qualified applicants with scores already.

"Thank you for your email. As the landscape and information is changing all the time, we have not made a firm decision with regard to interview decisions and any MCAT delays. What I can say is that we understand the difficult times that everyone is facing and we are in a position to be punitive or to disadvantage applicants who may not have been able to take the MCAT due to COVID-19 related delays. "

Life in general can be punitive and quite testing for disadvantaged people..!

You both need to calm down and get ready to roll with the punches if you want to make it in medicine or any competitive fields!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Life in general can be punitive and quite testing for disadvantaged people..!

You both need to calm down and get ready to roll with the punches if you want to make it in medicine or any competitive fields!
Of course. That doesn't make it any less obnoxious to openly admit it.

Lol half the people on here deleted their response because they changed their minds with their original draft. Yet they are so quick to judge the admissions office (who are probably under so much stress right now matriculating students while at the same time preparing for this cycle, all while working from home) who sent an email most likely incorrectly. The hypocrisy that some people exhibit is unreal

• Love
Pretty sure they meant What I can say is that we understand the difficult times that everyone is facing and we "NOT" are in a position to be punitive or to disadvantage applicants who may not have been able to take the MCAT due to COVID-19 related delays. "

You really need to chill. So sick of people getting triggered by small things.
If you look at their post history (if they haven't deleted it) you'll see this is not the first time they were triggered by such a minuscule thing.