This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted997355

\

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You’re just freaking out for no reason. You have more than enough shadowing hours, especially given COVID.

Reactions: 1 user
You're fine. I've generally heard 50-100 hours as a rule of thumb. The purpose of shadowing is to make sure you know what you're getting yourself into. I can't see how 500+ hours is even beneficial; you're gonna see most of what you need to see in the first 100 hours.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I am applying to dental school this cycle. I am pretty strong academically (21AA/21PAT, 4.0 GPA, 4.0 sGPA) but I only have 147 hours of general dentist shadowing (3 different doctors), and another 98 hours of orthodontics. For context I also have 320 research hours, 400ish volunteering hours (foster kids tutoring, on-campus service, etc).

I keep reading crazy numbers of people doing like 500+ hours of shadowing so it made me really nervous. I was shadowing a dentist in march for two weeks but then the office closed obviously due to covid. Anyone who was in a similar situation or am I just freaking out for no reason? Thanks in advance :)

relax

Reactions: 1 users
Youre good. I only had 100 hours and 80 of them were made up

Reactions: 4 users
Hi everyone! I am applying to dental school this cycle. I am pretty strong academically (21AA/21PAT, 4.0 GPA, 4.0 sGPA) but I only have 147 hours of general dentist shadowing (3 different doctors), and another 98 hours of orthodontics. For context I also have 320 research hours, 400ish volunteering hours (foster kids tutoring, on-campus service, etc).

I keep reading crazy numbers of people doing like 500+ hours of shadowing so it made me really nervous. I was shadowing a dentist in march for two weeks but then the office closed obviously due to covid. Anyone who was in a similar situation or am I just freaking out for no reason? Thanks in advance :)
Do not worry. As long as you have at least 50 hours you are good to go. With those scores and GPA as long as you apply early you will definitely be invited for some interviews! Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user