• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

KnightDoc

2+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
If I'm not 100% sure what I'll be doing in my gap year yet, is this okay? As in, do schools evaluate you based on what you're currently doing (many secondaries ask about gap year activities) as well?
Also, because of COVID it's been hard to find clinical related stuff since I don't have a license of any sort. Would it be okay if I continued research (although it is not completely science related)? Some advice would be helpful!
What do you think? What's the value of a gap year, at least with respect to a med school application, if you aren't going to do something productive with it? Research is fine. Non clinical volunteering is fine. Working to earn money to pay for school is fine. Binge watching Netflix and playing video games, not so much!! :)

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
7+ Year Member
May 10, 2012
  1. Medical Student
I think it would be great if you are able to continue research into your gap year, especially if it results in some type of publication. I would also consider doing other activities like volunteering (if possible) or work so it doesn’t appear you’re just at home hanging out. However, COVID-19 has made a mess for pre-meds trying to find extracurricular activities.

jhmmd

supernatural
Apr 28, 2020
desert highway
You NEED to focus on clinical related activities, if possible. Try to squeeze in some volunteering (I'm sure you have bills to pay) if you can. If you can't get your name on a publication, try to get your name on a poster presentation (and if you get to travel, even better). :)

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.