This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aodnejoch

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If I'm not 100% sure what I'll be doing in my gap year yet, is this okay? As in, do schools evaluate you based on what you're currently doing (many secondaries ask about gap year activities) as well?
Also, because of COVID it's been hard to find clinical related stuff since I don't have a license of any sort. Would it be okay if I continued research (although it is not completely science related)? Some advice would be helpful!
What do you think? What's the value of a gap year, at least with respect to a med school application, if you aren't going to do something productive with it? Research is fine. Non clinical volunteering is fine. Working to earn money to pay for school is fine. Binge watching Netflix and playing video games, not so much!! :)

I think it would be great if you are able to continue research into your gap year, especially if it results in some type of publication. I would also consider doing other activities like volunteering (if possible) or work so it doesn’t appear you’re just at home hanging out. However, COVID-19 has made a mess for pre-meds trying to find extracurricular activities.

You NEED to focus on clinical related activities, if possible. Try to squeeze in some volunteering (I'm sure you have bills to pay) if you can. If you can't get your name on a publication, try to get your name on a poster presentation (and if you get to travel, even better). :)