This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yoduh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
No in-person didactics.

D1 & D2: Rotating groups through sim lab with recorded didactics online at your own pace.
D3: Recorded didactics online to be done on your own pace after or before clinic.
D4: TBD

Reactions: 4 users
DS1 & DS2 online didactic- some recorded lecture some zoom lecture. Preclinical lab 2 groups rotation.
DS3 & DS4 recorded lecture and zoom meetings and about 50% of the students at a time on/off clinic schedule. Opened an evening clinic session on Tuesdays, also opened other clinic rooms that had been on limited use to daily use. DS3’s are kind of a first come first serve, but DS4’s are more evenly organized since they graduate sooner.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Have any schools said that D1 students will be attending class for didactic courses? My class starts in two weeks and my school still has not told us our schedule. I see the majority of schools have been online still during summer and some still online in the Fall, just curious if anyone IS going to campus for lecture.

Have any schools said that D1 students will be attending class for didactic courses? My class starts in two weeks and my school still has not told us our schedule. I see the majority of schools have been online still during summer and some still online in the Fall, just curious if anyone IS going to campus for lecture.

Our D1s will be online for didactic, but will be required to be on campus to do rotations in sim lab.

At my school class of 2022 got the short end of the stick because at this point they are still not allowed to see patients in clinic, and when they eventually do they will be around assisting more than operating as there will not be enough patients for all of us. Class of 2021 is in a bad situation too as a lot of our experiences have been cut short, but at least we already got a full year of normal patient experience under our belt and the school is focusing all their effort in this upcoming school year to get our class out on time by giving us priority chair, patients etc.

At my school class of 2022 got the short end of the stick because at this point they are still not allowed to see patients in clinic, and when they eventually do they will be around assisting more than operating as there will not be enough patients for all of us. Class of 2021 is in a bad situation too as a lot of our experiences have been cut short, but at least we already got a full year of normal patient experience under our belt and the school is focusing all their effort in this upcoming school year to get our class out on time by giving us priority chair, patients etc.

How do you know there won't be enough patients? Is that something your school has communicated to you?

How do you know there won't be enough patients? Is that something your school has communicated to you?

As D4’s we have been back to clinic for a while. They cut down the number of chairs and patients that can be scheduled by half in order to accommodate social distancing. A lot of us are sitting around or assisting.

They haven't told us anything. Based on all emails they've been sending out about covid cases in the school with just D3/4s, they're not going to want any more of us in the building than necessary

As D4’s we have been back to clinic for a while. They cut down the number of chairs and patients that can be scheduled by half in order to accommodate social distancing. A lot of us are sitting around or assisting.

Are you in a hard hit area (the South)? I'm in the Northeast and things aren't that bad here anymore, seems like patients are coming in steadily, but we are operating at 50% capacity in terms of chairs. We also have already started with D4s, and D3s begin in a few weeks. I guess we will see then if there are enough patients for all D3s and D4s.

Are you in a hard hit area (the South)? I'm in the Northeast and things aren't that bad here anymore, seems like patients are coming in steadily, but we are operating at 50% capacity in terms of chairs. We also have already started with D4s, and D3s begin in a few weeks. I guess we will see then if there are enough patients for all D3s and D4s.
Our dental school is at 50% chair capacity right now, and our D3's also start in a few weeks. I guess we shall see if my prediction about patient shortage is correct or not (I sincerely hope I'm wrong).

online courses for d1-d2, clinic up and running for d3 and d4. I myself am a D1 and experiencing the pain of all online lectures. My mental health has taken a nose dive

Reactions: 1 users
Online diadactic classes and labs divided into two groups. D4s in clinic doing actual cases and D3s assisting

Are schools testing students, faculty and other staff (including the UPS and FedEx delivery people) every day? Or just the patients?

We just do temperature checks and ask basic screening questions for students, faculty, and patients everyday.

Reactions: 2 users
Our school has spread us out physically and in scheduling to maintain social distancing. Second years started seeing their first patient in June, third and fourth years still seeing patients...They haven't talked about fall yet but I’d assume didactics stay online and they continue social distancing in the clinic and preclinic

We just do temperature checks and ask basic screening questions for students, faculty, and patients everyday.

Even though majority of covid cases are asymptomatic. In reality, someone in the clinic could have covid every day but there is no way to find out just doing temperature checks and routine questions.

Any protocols if someone at a/your school actually tests positive? Do they shutdown the clinics for 14 days per cdc contact tracing guidelines and test everyone?

Just curious. Schools and students are both in a tough spot and are taking chances with the virus.

Even though majority of covid cases are asymptomatic. In reality, someone in the clinic could have covid every day but there is no way to find out just doing temperature checks and routine questions.

Any protocols if someone at a/your school actually tests positive? Do they shutdown the clinics for 14 days per cdc contact tracing guidelines and test everyone?

Just curious. Schools and students are both in a tough spot and are taking chances with the virus.

For us, they are just taking temperature checks for students in pre-clinical labs/classes. Not sure what the protocol is when someone gets tested positive while in school. One person I know did but it was before in person labs started so they just stayed home while everyone else continued the labs

I guess my school is different. For my school class of 2022 did not get the short end of the stick. We started full time clinic the end of last month and although clinic is operating at a 50% capacity, no priority is given to the class of 2021. Because most pt in the hygiene pool are due for cleaning and exam, DS2s are actually in clinic as often or more often than the DS3s because DS2s take care of the hygiene pt at our school. We even got to do the fillings, extractions, and SRPs on the hygiene pt when they needed them. I feel like the DS3s got the short end of the stick at my school... No new comp exams/screening exams can be done in phase 3 means not a lot of new procedures are needed to be done so they don't have much to do.

As for the fall, the original plan was moving into phase 4 where the clinic will be operating at full capacity, but not sure how that will change given the surge in COVID cases nationwide.

Dang sons you’re sitting around doing nothing. We’re not full on open but will be very soon. Crazy I’d love to be sitting around halfassing d school. We back completing summer and spring stuff and we should open clinic and start clinic soon. D3 here
However it does look like all classes for all years in online. No class during D4 at my school so that doesn’t matter