This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littlecow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It really depends on what practice setting you end up signing with. Depends on how much you want to make. When I was looking at jobs, one place I interviewed required q3 level one trauma call while another job I looked at call was a few days level 3 per month. The q3 job paid a lot more but I knew I’d be miserable.

Reactions: 1 users
So if you only wanted to make 200-300, you could finagle some jobs with 40-60 hour workweeks? I'd be glad to work 80+ hours a week during residency and fellowship but don't want that afterwards

I dont think you're really making that low working 40 to 60 hours per week. But like the above mentioned, it depends on what you're doing. If you're doing recon all day and are efficient, t
you really could make some great money without putting in over 60 hours.

So if you only wanted to make 200-300, you could finagle some jobs with 40-60 hour workweeks? I'd be glad to work 80+ hours a week during residency and fellowship but don't want that afterwards

If you are working 60 hours per week and making 200k, you are either very inefficient or your hospital/partners are taking major advantage of you. People focus on the number of hours, but really need to pay more attention on how you use those hours. If you work in a group or hospital that give you a lot of support (scribes, PA help, dedicated surgery times, marketing people who can help you network for referrals, billers, etc...)then you could make a lot working 40-50 hrs per week.

Also, med students don’t know how much is made by ancillaries for ortho. In PP, you could make money on your PT, xrays/mri machines, braces, surgery center profits, and even in house pharmacy. However, highly variable on practice setting and individual group/hospital.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users