This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hello all. This may be a somewhat stupid question but I'm pretty unsure of what to do. I applied for a scribing position early this year (in January) and was expecting to have been finished with all interviews and begin scribing by mid-May, but this was delayed because of COVID-19. A lot of medical schools have secondary prompts that ask how COVID-19 has delayed extracurriculars/work or if there's anything I'd like to add or update the adcoms with. I'm currently in the middle of the interviewing process for a scribing position: I finished the phone interview and was invited for an in-person interview this Thursday (in 3 days).

My question is basically: should I submit my secondaries now and let them know that I'm in the middle of the interview process for a scribing position, or should I wait anywhere from 3-10 days (however long it takes them to make a decision to hire me or not) and assuming I got the job, tell them that I have already been hired as a scribe. I feel like telling them that I'm already hired/expecting to begin work is better than me just being applying, but is it worth sacrificing submission time for secondaries?

Thanks for any help.
It's difficult to see how 1-2 weeks at this point in the cycle will hurt you.
 
I say just apply now. Either way COVID will have screwed up your January-August plans. You can say that your state has loosened regulations and you're interviewing to work as a scribe in the coming weeks/months. It would not change how I would evaluate your application (having the job vs interviewing for the job).
 
I think you should just apply. Unless you know for sure that you'll have an answer in a week or so, just apply. Lots of employers will just ghost you or take weeks to get back to you after interviews.