This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vet2be1234

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have many questions as to what clinic had someone in their second year of vet school sign a contract... that raises some red flags to me for a few reasons.

Anyway, doesn't matter much now.

I don't think anyone can answer the questions you have an on online forum. You have signed a contract and a lot of what you can or can't do to get out of it is going to depend on the wording in the contract, the state the contract is in, states laws, state contract laws, any dates put into the contract, if the facility has to give you a new contract--- does that mean the first one ended already? If they have to provide you a new contract, the one you signed in second year might be null and void, but again, will depend on how the contract is written and state laws.

You are going to need to contact a contract/labor attorney to discuss the specifics and the best way to inform this clinic that you want to look into other options and that signing on two years before graduation was a mistake.

Reactions: 1 users
The facility has to give me a new contract soon anyway since they gave me the first one prior to my fourth year and graduating.

What do you mean by this?

Are you sure this is a contract and not an employment offer? As DVMDream wrote, having a 2nd year student enter into an employment contract as a DVM is problematic for a number of reasons.

If this is a contract, the legal consequences of reneging will depend on the details of the contract. In fact, a nonperformance clause should be written into the contract. There should also be details on terminating the contract; for example, it may be as simple as providing a 2-week written notice. You just have to read the contract.

If you cannot fulfill the terms of the contract, I would sit down with your employer and explain why this position is not linger a good fit for you. It's not in their interest to have you work for them if you don't want to. See if you can work it out. Give them plenty of advance notice so they can make alternative plans to fill the position.

If you can't work it out, get a lawyer to go over your situation and discuss your options.

And for anyone else reading this, ALWAYS make sure you understand all of the details and implications of the contract you are signing. A good start is to have a look at our Model Contract:

In most cases it's worth getting an attorney to help with this. I've lost track of all the new graduates, interns and residents who have got into trouble signing contracts they didn't understand. You need to know what you're getting into before you sign.

This is especially true with some of the corporation contacts I've seen lately.

Reactions: 1 users