This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sbd9

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Campbell University claims to be LGBTQ+ friendly (as a Christian university), but they have a handful of issues for LGBTQ+ students.

1) I was told that I simply "wasn't considered" for university scholarships (with scores standard deviations above the average) because the selection committee decided my application "didn't match the student profile that they wanted." It's possible I'm reading more into this than necessary, but then again, I was never given firm answers on why my profile (multiple publications, Ivy League masters degree, thousands of hours of community service, and insanely positive letters of rec) wasn't good enough to even write an essay to be considered for scholarships.

2) Our faculty often refer to "homosexual men"as "likely patients" for diseases, without explanation. Or with loose explanations, such as "anal-oral transmission." Gay men didn't invent analingus and definitely don't have a monopoly on anal-oral transmission. Clearly this is misguided.

3) We have not yet had discussions on transgender patients, sexuality, pronouns. Seems like an obvious blind spot that my school isn't willing to address.

Overall: our school policy states that we are LGBTQ+ friendly (and I don't think they would deny admission to a qualified LGBTQ+ applicant), but it isn't going to be the best fit for school. If you find yourself really wanting to live in rural NC, then it isn't a nightmare. But it definitely isn't at the level that you would expect from educated medical professionals.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Loma Linda isn’t a DO school.

Any school should be considered LGBTQ+ friendly save for maybe Liberty and possibly UIW.

Can’t control who goes there, and any biases they may have; but the schools themselves aren’t going to have policies that should be an issue.

Loma Linda isn’t a DO school.

Any school should be considered LGBTQ+ friendly save for maybe Liberty and possibly UIW.

Can’t control who goes there, and any biases they may have; but the schools themselves aren’t going to have policies that should be an issue.
Policies make up a very small percentage of the factors that inhibit LGBT+ success. Dismissing a legitimate concern about whether schools have a culture that actively promote/inhibit LGBTQ+ well-being isn't helpful.

OP: keep asking questions and looking for answers, because it's pretty clear that not all medical professionals understand or address systemic barriers to equality. If you have a finalized list of schools, a lot of these places have LGBT health interest groups with members that will give honest feedback on the cultural climate at their school.

Policies make up a very small percentage of the factors that inhibit LGBT+ success.

OP: keep asking questions and looking for answers, because it's pretty clear that not all medical professionals understand or address systemic barriers to equality. If you have a finalized list of schools, a lot of these places have LGBT health interest groups with members that will give honest feedback on the cultural climate at their school.

You got all that from my post? Are you looking for offense or something?

As a follow-up topic, there is heavy documentation that bullying is very common among medical professionals. Something to do withose who are insecure targeting those that they view as vulnerable/weak. If you engage in the online forums here enough, you're sure to see that in action.

So as a serious word of advice, look for healthy coping mechanisms, resources, and community members who can be supportive. Medicine is about the long-game, and it takes a village to get to your goals. Lots of people in medicine are toxic, so build up the skill set that will get you where you need to go. We need more doctors like you.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.