This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blade runner 3000

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A good start for data is here: Main Residency Match Data and Reports - The Match, National Resident Matching Program
There's also a nice interactive tool provided.

You certainly have a shot at academic general surgery programs although likely the biggest strike will be your non-senior status. I would still apply relatively broadly in terms of geography and both academic and community programs; first goal should be matching at all. You might have a chance at an integrated program. I personally wouldn't apply to GS, integrated vascular and integrated CT all in the same season due to time, money, splitting focus and places would probably see through a more 'scattered' application. I doubt that the shot at an integrated program is fantastic, but it depends on your letters, connections, research, previous field of interest, and perceived dedication to the field. I'd talk with your mentors in your current program, your PD, and any previous mentors or contacts from your med school. It will also be more struggle to get time away to interview from your current program than it was during medical school. Also, in your app redress any red flags from why you didn't match in your previous specialty - letters? Too narrow a geographic region? Applying ortho/ENT/Nsg and too low of step I?

Status
Not open for further replies.