This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theconfusedapplicant

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter. Rollng schools tend to pace themselves in deciding on making offers. They may make a few offers early, to people who they can't imagine falling below the admission cut off when all is said and done and they may hold some borderline applicants until later when they see what the entire pool looks like.

I would not be too worried about November interviews. Both interviewers and interviewees tend to be more comfortable with the process by then and I think that sometimes those are the best interviews.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So...this might be another stupid question of mine but I've been lucky enough to get a few interviews with my first being scheduled for 10/21. I have them spaced out (I'm trying to get them to 1 per week) but I have 3 in November with the latest being on 11/20. I think for that school they had available interview dates going into December, but reading about rolling admissions has me kinda scared that I'm scheduling them a bit too far into the future. Also, I'm reading a lot about how people already have interviews or have interviews coming up within the next week or so. Should I cram my interviews more closely together, trying to get them all in October? Or is it not a big deal? Changing interview dates for some schools is a hassle so I'd rather not if it won't affect much, but yeah.

Thanks for any help.
What the reason to space them out given that no travel for this cycle? My kid did 2 in space of couple of days with no pressure and always signs up for first available date regardless whether they are rolling admissions or not. You don't know how many more IIs you get.

Few reasons, for me at least:

Firstly, I'm scared of interviews. I have pretty bad presentation/interview anxiety (more than most people) when I feel like I'm being judged and the thought of having all of some of the most important days in my life crammed within 2-3 weeks scares the crap out of me. Secondly, I started full-time work recently and I want to have time to prepare for all of these schools. Also, I don't think I'd be able to take 7 days off within the span of a week in a job I just started. Third, I think having them spaced out will stop me from getting confused between schools - I don't want to accidentally mention a feature of the curriculum that X school has when it's Y school that actually has it.

I already have my first 4 interviews within a span of like 11 days so I'm already cramming them more closely than I'd like, but yeah - it's already kind of too late for me to change the dates on some of the later ones, I'm sure much earlier dates are already taken. Maybe if I'm lucky enough to get more interviews I'll put them earlier if I can.
Makes sense. GL and don't overthink about interviews. I heard they are all conversational.

Do whatever you feel comfortable with. No need to cram them all in quickly (congrats on getting so many II!)

It doesn't matter. Rollng schools tend to pace themselves in deciding on making offers. They may make a few offers early, to people who they can't imagine falling below the admission cut off when all is said and done and they may hold some borderline applicants until later when they see what the entire pool looks like.

I would not be too worried about November interviews. Both interviewers and interviewees tend to be more comfortable with the process by then and I think that sometimes those are the best interviews.
Would you say there's a month when it generally is pretty late to have an interview? I have an interview that I was only able to schedule for January (rolling school), but that just seems really late to me.

Would you say there's a month when it generally is pretty late to have an interview? I have an interview that I was only able to schedule for January (rolling school), but that just seems really late to me.

Never too late. If a school is interviewing, it is because they anticipate making offers. It might be offers from the waitlist but they make the waitlist because they expect to have empty seats after some of the applicants to whom they made offers turn them down.

I've even seen a state school interview OOS applicants in June and make offers outright just days later! (it was a money grab to help balance the state budget but the applicants were thrilled.)

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Never too late. If a school is interviewing, it is because they anticipate making offers. It might be offers from the waitlist but they make the waitlist because they expect to have empty seats after some of the applicants to whom they made offers turn them down.

I've even seen a state school interview OOS applicants in June and make offers outright just days later! (it was a money grab to help balance the state budget but the applicants were thrilled.)
Fair enough, but it's also fair to say that while desperate people will ultimately take whatever they can get, most applicants aren't in this for the opportunity to interview for the WL, and then hope they later get a call after the more "desirable" candidates who were allowed to interview for actual As turn them down.

I think the answer to @OnTheMark is that it sucks that January is the earliest you could get, it's unlikely that all the As will have been given out by then, but there is nothing you could do about it so try not to obsess about things you can't control. The other answer is that January might be pretty late at some schools and right in the middle of the season for others. It is pretty school specific, and might even be pushed back a little this year. In any case, congrats on the II. I'm sure there are literally hundreds of people on SDN who would love to trade places with you right now. :cool:

I have news for you. If you have interviewed and have not yet received an offer you are, in essence, on the waitlist. You are waiting for the school to make an offer. It will make offers. It will see how things are shaking out and make more offers, or stop making offers. It can make offers in April, or May or June. No school will waste its resources interviewing people if there is no chance of making more offers.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I have news for you. If you have interviewed and have not yet received an offer you are, in essence, on the waitlist. You are waiting for the school to make an offer. It will make offers. It will see how things are shaking out and make more offers, or stop making offers. It can make offers in April, or May or June. No school will waste its resources interviewing people if there is no chance of making more offers.
Very true! Even so, given a choice, most of us would rather interview while there are still As to be handed out as opposed to later in the season, when there are no more As left and all we can receive are WLs.

Also, I'm not sure I'd agree that not hearing in the period after an interview and before As are issued is, in essence a spot on the WL. Being notified that we have been placed on the WL is being on the WL. If we haven't been discussed yet in committee, I think it's more accurate to say we are in purgatory. :cool: And, if we have been discussed, we might in essence be on the WL, or A, or R, even though we don't know which one yet.