This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t0bler0ne

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 12.58.00 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 12.58.29 AM.png

MCW is substantially higher ranked. They went "unranked" this year for reasons unknown to me. I'd go to the program that's closer to home. Moving in the middle of med school would suck. It sucked moving once, I can't imagine doing it halfway through. I pulled those from my spreadsheet that I made last year that sums the PD ratings and then averages them and compares them to their USNWR ranking.

Thanks for sharing, appreciate it! I did see this before and was actually confused about the differences too. USF's matches are better (competitive specialty-wise and, for me, location wise) & they integrate research in the curriculum, but MCW seems more established & I saw their NIH funding was higher so I was wondering if anyone had more insights on that. I'm not well versed whatsoever on PD ratings but I know they matter whereas USNWR can be pretty arbitrary

As for distance from family, I went to the west coast for undergrad and moved around a lot so it's not the biggest factor for me, but still would be nice!
PD refers to how the (residency) program directors view or rather rate the medical school out of 5.
1605855947917.png

MCW had 186 graduates (Milwaukee campus) and matched 6 uro, 2 plastics, 3 ENT, 5 ortho, 1 ophtho (17 highly competitive)
Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 2.06.05 AM.png

USF had 174 graduates and matched 3 derm, 2 nsg, 3 ophtho, 2 ortho, 2 ENT, 2 plastics, 3 uro, 1 vascular (18 highly competitive fields)

Their match lists don't look all that different to me in all honesty. A lot of it has to do with what people want to go into as well so they vary year to year. Say no one matched into nsg from MCW in 2020. That very well could have been because no one applied - not because they weren't competitive but because they wanted to do something else. I think MCW is a stronger program overall.