This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangedew

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Go MD if you have the choice, but beyond that it doesn’t matter much. Match lists are basically useless because people have different preferences. You couldn’t pay me enough to do a residency in New York or LA, but other people would eat their first born child for the privilege (and you might have to to be able to afford living there)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
There are varying degrees. No particular DO school will aid in your residency search, most will have regional influence at best. If you graduate from Penn or Harvard, then obviously that will help. Best for residency match is to make yourself the best candidate for that specialty. Research for FM? Not so much. Research for Derm? Very helpful. So do the due diligence for whatever residency you choose and make yourself the best applicant possible. And play the match game well. Pick a couple reach and safe programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, quite simply, competetive residencies require a competetive application. MDs match with lower scores than DOs in some programs. DOs match well in rads and anesthesia. Do well in school, get in the upper half for class rank, do well on Step 2 as Step 1 is pass fail. Play the match game well. If you do above the national avg for board scores in anesthesia and rads, you will match, and probably well.

Reactions: 1 user
OP I suggest applying to ACOM, a decent amount of their student match around the area including Florida.

Unless it's Ivy League MD it doesn't matter, and it definitely doesn't matter for DO schools.... no matter what your Dean is promising.

Reactions: 1 users
I had several classmates who matched into ROAD residencies, I think it has more to do with your grades and scores with few exceptions. I would say that some programs can specifically be biased against DOs, but it's more of a case by case thing than a general rule. The thing I would look for is DOs in the programs you are interested in. Look back at the residents they've taken, if there isn't ANY DOs in several classes of residents, likely you will not be considered. If there are at least SOME it is worth applying. I know in the past several residencies in CO were discriminatory to DOs because of the strife between RVU and CU. That may have changed since I was in/out of school, but some of those programs were historically discriminatory before RVU was even a possibility.

How important is where you go to medical school in relation to matching a residency program, especially if going DO?

I've taken a look at a few match lists and although they are great, they seem to be regionally biased. ex. radiology matches will be within the geographical area.

I'm asking because I am from FL and would like to practice here near my family but I'm wondering if I go to a school like KCU or PCOM my options for coming back home may be limited, although I can certainly come back home post-residency (which is what most people seem to do anyways)
Not as much as whether its a MD vs DO school. With the merger its going to be much hard to get into competitive specialties as a DO. I'd go for MD over DO if you could.