This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blinkblink2

Reaction score
z

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would be curious to hear an assessment of the extent to which interviews are expected to be late-skewed due to distinct features of this year's cycle. In particular, the larger number of applicants related to no interview travel expense and other factors, which will result in multiple acceptees' spots reopening when they make have to a final decision on where to matriculate. It might follow logically, then, that there would be another wave of interview invites in response at this point in the cycle.

I seem to have radio silence from an unusually large proportion of schools to which I have applied. I'd estimate 70% out of a large pool of ~40 schools (30% being interviews/rejections). I have had 4 II (3 complete, 1 WL, 2 pending) to this point and submitted my secondaries in August/September. What percentage of all interviews I will receive might this be estimated to be? Thanks for any input
But this most likely will not happen until April, when people will have to reduce As to 3, and then to 1! This would be way too late to start extending new IIs. What you are describing, which has been predicted/debated in other threads, is a good argument for increased WL movement this year, but for not a hyper-late II wave in April/May.

Schools already interview far more applicants than they have spots for. If more As are turned down than normal due to the conditions you identified, and schools didn't anticipate it and issue more IIs as a result during the season, or plan to extend the season to accommodate the increased pool this year, they will simply have to go deeper into their WLs. There will not be time to conduct more interviews after the massive wave of final decisions hits in April.

Reactions: 1 users
Great question, but I think it is impossible to estimate because each school has their own timeline. Some stop interviewing in January while others keep interviewing into March. To see if the school is still sending invites, I recommend looking at past year’s school-specific thread to see the last day of reported IIs, then maybe add a week or two for delayed COVID timeline. Of course without contacting all the admissions offices directly (and getting honest answers from all) we can’t know for sure what percentage of IIs are left. Also some schools just silently reject you and you will get formally denied in July (or never).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would be curious to hear an assessment of the extent to which interviews are expected to be late-skewed due to distinct features of this year's cycle. In particular, the larger number of applicants related to no interview travel expense and other factors, which will result in multiple acceptees' spots reopening when they make have to a final decision on where to matriculate. It might follow logically, then, that there would be another wave of interview invites in response at this point in the cycle.

I seem to have radio silence from an unusually large proportion of schools to which I have applied. I'd estimate 70% out of a large pool of ~40 schools (30% being interviews/rejections). I have had 4 II (3 complete, 1 WL, 2 pending) to this point and submitted my secondaries in August/September. What percentage of all interviews I will receive might this be estimated to be? Thanks for any input
This will be impossible to determine. Confounders include school resources, # people working in Admissions, the number of apps received,

Also, many schools wait listed the bulk of their interviewees even before COVID.

At my own school, due to the huge increase in apps (some 20-30%; this is true for all med schools this cycle), we're interviewing for the wait list only now. We never, ever did this so early in the cycle.

Hence I don't think you're likely to get any more IIs. If schools thought you were a catch, they would have sent you an II by now.

Apparently, the admissions deans have this as a science and would have accepted/waitlisted enough to fill all available seats. So real late interviews are not likely.