This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sona&samosa

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm trying to make a list of which schools I should apply to for this cycle and am having a hard time figuring out just how competitive my application is. I would really appreciate some help adding/removing schools from my list.

I feel like I have a very diverse background and some very interesting experiences. I'd say my application is decent for the most part if it weren't for my undergrad GPA. Basically, I wasn't sure what I wanted during undergrad and just went with it. Wasn't expecting to ever go back to school, so I didn't care too much about my GPA. Exhibit A: dropping a class with a W because I thought it was boring. Just didn't seem like a big deal at the time. I also had a bunch of AP credit, so I didn't get to take most of the GPA boosting gened classes most kids take. (excuses, excuses, I know) I've been taking prerequisites for the past 2 semesters and have gotten a 4.0 each semester, plus scored well on the DAT, so I got that goin for me.

Overall GPA: 3.26 after taking classes full time for 2 semesters (4.0 GPA each semester), hopefully 3.29 after summer classes
Science GPA:
3.18 (3.23 after Summer)
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.56 (3.61 after Summer)
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 24 AA, 23 TS, 27 QR, 23 PAT, 24 RC, 24 BIO, 24 GC, 22 OC,
State of Residence: IL

Undergrad Attended: School is well known for engineering
Major: Engineering
Minor: N/A
Minority?
Asian
Reapplicant? Kind of? Submitted 1 app last minute in previous cycle but had issues with DAT (long story... PM if curious), so application wasn't considered
Nontrad? Yes- Engineering undergrad, worked in finance for 2 years

Shadowing Experience: ~100 with general dentist, oral surgeon, ortho, endo
Volunteering Experience: ~100 at pet shelter, food pantry, hobby related org
Employment: currently PT dental assistant, worked FT in finance for 2 years after undergrad, interned at a federal agency
Research: Worked as research assistant in a bio lab
Other Extracurriculars: position in a volunteering organization right now, worked part time throughout undergrad, heavily involved in a club as a member in undergrad
Relevant Honors or Awards: nothing special
LOR type and strength: 2 bio professors, old boss, dentist
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: hold a substitute teacher license that I never got to use because of covid lol hoping toget some use out of it after this summer. Not sure if I should mention it in app

School list: Willing to apply to ~20 schools
UIC
SIU
Marquette
Midwestern-IL
Creighton
Case Western
University of New England
Boston University
Tufts
Western University
University of Pittsburgh
University of Louisville
University of Iowa
University of Pennsylvania
University of Nebraska
Oregon Health and Science
Indiana University
University of Colorado
University of Kentucky
University of Tennessee

Maybe:
LECOM
University of Detroit Mercy
University of Michigan
University of Minnesota
University of Maryland
University of Missouri- Kansas City
University of Nevada, Las Vegas

Thanks
you are a reapplicant if you submitted AADSAS
too many public schools...

get the ADEA guide and look at avg GPA/DAT and range and OOS interviewed/accepted %

Reactions: 1 users
you are a reapplicant if you submitted AADSAS
too many public schools...

get the ADEA guide and look at avg GPA/DAT and range and OOS interviewed/accepted %
Yeah, I was going to put myself down as a reapplicant. I did contact the AADSAAS people and they basically said to put down what seems right to me.
UIC and SIU are no brainers public schools since I'm an Illinois resident. Looking at some past data and the ADEA guide, most of the public schools I put down have a relatively significant number of OOS enrollees. Some are obviously reach schools, such as UPenn, U Colorado, Oregon. Are there any schools you think I should definitely remove?
I used the 2017 and 2018 statistics for the interviewed/accepted % and came up with this list. Having a hard time working out how much my high DAT could offset my low GPA 😓

Members don't see this ad :)
I may be wrong but I don’t think you are a reapplicant. My understanding is you are considered a reapplicant if you previously submitted a complete application. If your DAT scores were never received (or if you never uploaded LORs or sent your transcripts etc) then your file was never under review. If it’s up to your own discretion, I think it would be advantageous to say you are a first time applicant (IDK if it’s really advantageous though). Definitely get more clarification.

The BCP GPA is going to help you so you need to know which schools will weigh this in screening as opposed to your overall GPA. Engineering school is tough so find out which schools have tended to take more.

If you paid your app fee to AADSAS, technically you are an AADSAS reapplicant. If you paid a supplemental fee before, you will be a reapplicant for that school. That's the simple definition.

I’m in a very similar boat to you just slightly higher GPA and slightly lower DAT, having been out of undergrad for three years. I heard that BU is not friendly towards people who have been out of school for a while (without a masters/postbacc) and reached out to them. They confirmed and said without a masters/postbacc it would be very difficult to get an interview.

Reactions: 1 user
I may be wrong but I don’t think you are a reapplicant. My understanding is you are considered a reapplicant if you previously submitted a complete application. If your DAT scores were never received (or if you never uploaded LORs or sent your transcripts etc) then your file was never under review. If it’s up to your own discretion, I think it would be advantageous to say you are a first time applicant (IDK if it’s really advantageous though). Definitely get more clarification.
The BCP GPA is going to help you so you need to know which schools will weigh this in screening as opposed to your overall GPA. Engineering school is tough so find out which schools have tended to take more.

If you paid your app fee to AADSAS, technically you are an AADSAS reapplicant. If you paid a supplemental fee before, you will be a reapplicant for that school. That's the simple definition.
Thank you for your responses! Since I had my application verified and paid the fee, I'm going to say I'm a reapplicant. I put down my situation in the reapplicant questions, so hopefully that will be enough. I had everything, including transcripts and LOR, submitted in the last cycle, so I don't think I can get away with not being a reapplicant :/

@Mr.Smile12, are there any particular schools you happen to know that would weigh BCP GPAs more than overall? I've looked into this a bit, just wondering if you have any more thoughts.

I’m in a very similar boat to you just slightly higher GPA and slightly lower DAT, having been out of undergrad for three years. I heard that BU is not friendly towards people who have been out of school for a while (without a masters/postbacc) and reached out to them. They confirmed and said without a masters/postbacc it would be very difficult to get an interview.
Hi there! Thanks for letting me know, I didn't even think of looking into something like that. Hopefully my informal postbacc is good enough.

I did see on UDM's website that prerequisite credits expire after 5 years, if you were planning on applying there. Not sure how strict they are though.

Are you currently doing a post bacc? I’m missing how you are currently getting a 4.0 and how many credits that will.

I agree with mac as usual. Look at the ADEA Guide. It is harder since your gpa is quite different than DAT score. Do you have any connections at SIU/MWU-IL/UIC? You could try reaching out there

Reactions: 1 user
Are you currently doing a post bacc? I’m missing how you are currently getting a 4.0 and how many credits that will.

I agree with mac as usual. Look at the ADEA Guide. It is harder since your gpa is quite different than DAT score. Do you have any connections at SIU/MWU-IL/UIC? You could try reaching out there
Sorry I didn't realize you replied. Yes, currently doing an informal(?) post bacc. I'll be at 39 credits when I'm done with it at the end of the summer. 4.0 so far, expecting 4.0 for summer as well. The classes are upper level, such as microbiology, anatomy&phys, biochemistry, orgo 1&2 etc. I'm not sure what would be considered a connection. I've interacted with the admissions staff at MWU and UIC so maybe they'll remember me.