This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wearethechamp12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some advice on my plan of applying University IM.
I am currently an M3 at a DO school, and recently received my boards scores back -- Step 1 235-245 and Level 1 580. I have 1 publication (basic/bench science) in an IM subspecialty as a second author in a good journal, and 2 other pubs as third author. Besides trying to get honors from IM rotations, what else should I plan to do to maximize my chance? Thank you for your advice in advance!
I think your odds are pretty good, depending on the specifics of your situation, most importantly if the programs for which you are applying take DO’s or not, historically. Sadly, there are still programs that will take no DO’s. If your target programs take DO’s, particularly from your DO school, your odds increase quite a bit. I would try to get an audition rotation and and a letter from faculty at that program. That could be the icing on the cake.

Reactions: 1 user
I think your odds are pretty good, depending on the specifics of your situation, most importantly if the programs for which you are applying take DO’s or not, historically. Sadly, there are still programs that will take no DO’s. If your target programs take DO’s, particularly from your DO school, your odds increase quite a bit. I would try to get an audition rotation and and a letter from faculty at that program. That could be the icing on the cake.
Thank you for the advice! I will start searching for programs that have taken DO's and try to audition there. I am starting my inpatient IM clerkship (non-university, but has residency programs); is there any advice? It will be my first inpatient, and I getting a bit nervous!

Members don't see this ad :)
Your chances are good!

Would check the "What are my Chances" Forum. See applicants that applied to specific schools from you're region and scores. The attendings that frequent that forum are really helpful!

Last years IM spread sheet on reddit is helpful as well. Check out students with your scores in your region. See where they interviewed and it might be a better program to apply to or possibly do a Sub-I.