This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OMMKing

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I will defer to others who have more experience (personal or otherwise) with this, but I think you have a heck of an uphill battle ahead of you.

This seems a little extreme to me (dismissing someone for failing a class by 1% when they are otherwise doing fine). Is there something else going on you're not telling us? Where your mental health issues and personal circumstances getting in the way of other things? I suppose it could really be that they are on such heightened alert due to accreditation issues.

First off, sorry this happened to you. I am not trying to rub salt in the wound when I say this (and you already know it), but this is a good time to remind anyone else reading this who hasn't yet matriculated that an often unrecognized factor that goes into school choice is how they take care of their students. Everyone thinks they will never be the one to run into academic problems, but you never know...life happens.

I think a student could have failed a whole semester of classes at my school (well established MD) and I think the school would let them just repeat everything again. In fact, I think that may have happened to a few people while I was there. Everyone who joined our class from the one above finished without other issues afaik.

Again, sorry this happened. A part of me has a thought that you may be finished at this point, but I will defer to others before I would say that outright. If your current school won't give you a second chance, maybe you could reach out to the MD school you were accepted to and get some input from them. Maybe target the other newer DO schools (after all your personal/health issues are under control)?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
This seems a little extreme to me (dismissing someone for failing a class by 1% when they are otherwise doing fine). Is there something else going on you're not telling us? Where your mental health issues and personal circumstances getting in the way of other things? I suppose it could really be that they are on such heightened alert due to accreditation issues.
The only other thing I can think of is that I felt that admin and the dean personally disliked me. They would send me very threatening even inappropriate emails for minor things like missing a flu shot. But I later heard from other students that they experienced a similar thing. The school also dismissed a student who was hospitalized for suicide. This environment in turn worsened my mental health issues until I was no longer able to attend and missed some required lectures. I saw the school psychologist and he was very discouraging and said that they would rather dismiss students than give a leave of absence.

I now regularly see a very good provider and have been doing much better. He thinks I'm ready and encouraged me to reapply to other medical schools and continue regular therapy.

I have done well in medical school for the most part, just had a bad month. I really do not feel I deserve this.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The intersection of mental health and medical school is a tough one.

If you had a bout of true depression or other major mental health disease which caused your missing of requirements, but subsequently got things under control, then my personal opinion is that you likely didn't deserve this either.

However, it sounds like the school will not budge. Again, I'd say contact the MD school that gave you an acceptance and see what they say. If this was a residency situation, the new PD (analogous to the Dean in this case) would contact the person's prior PD (Dean in this case). If that would happen, it sounds like you could have issues since your Dean may not give you the most glowing review.

Based on what happened, I think most schools will look at your app and move on. However, again, the newer DO schools might give you a chance. I don't know enough about them to say for sure though.

The intersection of mental health and medical school is a tough one.

If you had a bout of true depression or other major mental health disease which caused your missing of requirements, but subsequently got things under control, then my personal opinion is that you likely didn't deserve this either.

However, it sounds like the school will not budge. Again, I'd say contact the MD school that gave you an acceptance and see what they say. If this was a residency situation, the new PD (analogous to the Dean in this case) would contact the person's prior PD (Dean in this case). If that would happen, it sounds like you could have issues since your Dean may not give you the most glowing review.

Based on what happened, I think most schools will look at your app and move on. However, again, the newer DO schools might give you a chance. I don't know enough about them to say for sure though.
Thank you. I had some complex financial/personal situation that led to severe depression. But it was temporary and a few sessions with a professional were enough to resolve this.

I contacted a few MD and DO schools and they encouraged me to reapply. This of course means retaking the MCAT and having no guarantees. By the time I matriculate again (if I ever do), I could have already been almost done with medical school. It is so hard not to beat myself up for turning down the MD school.

Yep, can't change it. I know it's difficult, but just have to move on.

If I were you, I'd consider a structured MCAT prep course to give you a good review and maximize your MCAT score/chances at another acceptance.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I know OMM is a tough class but usually there is a process for remediation according to the student handbook. It's very expensive for a medical school to fail a student. Now if you have been encouraged by some admissions officers to try, no guarantees but see what you can do. Use any networking you have had with students at other schools to get better insights regarding support.

Reactions: 1 user
I know OMM is a tough class but usually there is a process for remediation according to the student handbook. It's very expensive for a medical school to fail a student. Now if you have been encouraged by some admissions officers to try, no guarantees but see what you can do. Use any networking you have had with students at other schools to get better insights regarding support.
It seems pretty easy at my former school. Wish I had known. Their handbook is very vague and says it is at the committee's discretion. Even the schools I contacted find it hard to believe they let someone go this early and denied a request for a leave of absence given the documentation I provided.