This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happyjoylove

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
List is small and those are all the hardest schools to get into (yes you have good stats but looking at the broader picture). I’d apply to some more and some safety schools for sure since you’re applying pretty late.

Especially CA schools since there’s a lot and you can get instate tuition.

Reactions: 1 users
List is small and those are all the hardest schools to get into (yes you have good stats but looking at the broader picture). I’d apply to some more and some safety schools for sure since you’re applying pretty late.

Especially CA schools since there’s a lot and you can get instate tuition.
Thanks for your input! I’ll add some schools to the list.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Date of submission: Will be applying late October - early November this cycle
Overall GPA: 3.88
Science GPA: 3.86
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: have not calculated
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA 27, TS 30, RC 26, QR 24, PAT 23
State of Residence: socal
Undergrad Attended: small private school in CA
Major: biochem
Minor: economics
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes/ I am in my second gap year.
Took a long time to decide dentistry is the path for me.
Volunteering Experience:
- >100 in underserved community
- ~100 hours in hospital
Employment:
-
Organic chemistry supplemental instructor for a semester
Research:
~150 hours in biochemistry lab during freshman year
>800 hours, 3 years of research in a computational chemistry lab. 1st author publication.

Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean’s list
LOR type and strength: Three strong letters, 2 from science professors and 1 from an econ professor.
Decent one from a dentist
Misc:
By the time I apply, I will have a total of ~90 hours of dental experience, shadowing and assisting combined. I was exploring other careers during my gap year, and after gaining dental experience, I realized this is what I want to do.

School list:
UCLA
USC
Harvard
Columbia
UPenn
you have a shot at U$C, because they interview and accept a ton of students since it's so expensive
however, it's expensive and people with your stats generally can get into less expensive and better schools quite easily (as long as they apply early and don't interview poorly)
but the other 4 schools on your list are well into the 7-10 most difficult schools to get into, so you are handicapping yourself by applying so late
add in your lack of experience in dentistry, it would be hard to convince an adcom that you have researched the profession and know what you are getting in to
that said, if you increase your list a lot, i am sure that some schools would offer you interviews/acceptances, it's just that if you took your time and had a good school list next year coupled with more experience in dentistry, you would more likely have a successful cycle and get into a few top schools

you have a shot at U$C, because they interview and accept a ton of students since it's so expensive
however, it's expensive and people with your stats generally can get into less expensive and better schools quite easily (as long as they apply early and don't interview poorly)
but the other 4 schools on your list are well into the 7-10 most difficult schools to get into, so you are handicapping yourself by applying so late
add in your lack of experience in dentistry, it would be hard to convince an adcom that you have researched the profession and know what you are getting in to
that said, if you increase your list a lot, i am sure that some schools would offer you interviews/acceptances, it's just that if you took your time and had a good school list next year coupled with more experience in dentistry, you would more likely have a successful cycle and get into a few top schools
Honestly, I cannot agree with you more. I originally had planned out to apply next year because of the reasons you’ve stated (late in the cycle, lack of experience in denistry), but I had a change of mind thinking, why don’t I just give it a shot?

Do you think it will hurt to reapply next cycle if I don’t get accepted this cycle?
Or I should ask, are reapplicants at a disadvantage?

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, I cannot agree with you more. I originally had planned out to apply next year because of the reasons you’ve stated (late in the cycle, lack of experience in denistry), but I had a change of mind thinking, why don’t I just give it a shot?

Do you think it will hurt to reapply next cycle if I don’t get accepted this cycle?
Or I should ask, are reapplicants at a disadvantage?
It does put you at a disadvantage to reapply again and if you do get into one school and decline acceptance you can’t really apply to that school again. But if you apply and don’t get in and reapply you have to make sure you have gained even more experiences that help strengthen your application more than when you applied the first time.

Reactions: 2 users