This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1157978

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you will be learning medicine in the US system so you need to shadow doctors in the US. Is it that difficult in the pain clinic where you work as an MA? Do they have other doctors you can observe in different specialties or primary care?

Same thing with non clinical volunteering. Food distribution, shelter work, job placement services, or housing services are good examples. 150 hours by the time you submit your application. Don't do any more teaching... you have that covered.

Hey! Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately, I am not in the States right now, and the activities I have so far will probably be the only ones going into my application.. I was thinking since a big part of working with the ophthalmologist & pain clinic doc required me to be there while the doctor interacts with the patient and does charting, I could convince the admission officers I've spent plenty of time watching doctors in the states work? For example, as an eye tech, I would work-up the patients with basic exams (checking their vision, eye pressure, etc.), report the results to the doc, and follow him into the room to watch him treat the patient (to see which treatments he does for charting purposes). Similar thing as an MA.
I was presuming but that wasn't clear from the original description. About how many hours did you do this under the ophthalmologist and the pain clinic?

Members don't see this ad :)
You have more than enough clinical exposure hours in this country. I suggest these schools with your stats:
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
UC Irvine
UC Davis
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)
USC Keck
Kaiser
California University
St. Louis
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Northwestern
Western Michigan
U Michigan
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Tufts