This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capybaracarbonara

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest these schools with your stats:
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
UC Irvine
UC Davis
USC Keck
Stanford
Kaiser
Washington University (in St. Louis-almost a guaranteed interview with your stats)
Northwestern
U Chicago
Vanderbilt
Duke
Johns Hopkins
U Penn
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Harvard
Yale
Dartmouth
Brown
Boston University
Tufts
Pittsburgh
Case Western
U Michigan

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these schools with your stats:
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
UC Irvine
UC Davis
USC Keck
Stanford
Kaiser
Washington University (in St. Louis-almost a guaranteed interview with your stats)
Northwestern
U Chicago
Vanderbilt
Duke
Johns Hopkins
U Penn
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Harvard
Yale
Dartmouth
Brown
Boston University
Tufts
Pittsburgh
Case Western
U Michigan
Thank you! Is this list solely based on stats? I'm just asking because it's a little different from the list you gave me about a year ago when I had the same stats. I've attached the old list below.

You need to accumulate 50 hours of physician shadowing (including primary care) before you apply. If you do so before June then you can apply in June. I suggest these schools with your stats:
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
UC Irvine
UC Davis
USC Keck
Kaiser
California University
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
U Michigan
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
USF Morsani
Emory
Duke
U Virginia
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Yale
Tufts

Members don't see this ad :)
Presuming this is for 2024 submission.

I previously advised:
"You have the hours for nonclinical volunteering, but it would help you to have a community service activity that you could do during the year that is not about tutoring or education. Something with older adults that you could do weekly would ultimately help your application and your service orientation."

You did add working with stroke patients where I presume you got your neurology shadowing. Get the primary care shadowing in. Are you working in hospice care? Is geriatrics your interest?

I added more nonclinical volunteering throughout the year with the homeless shelter. I am not working in hospice care, and I am not interested in geriatrics. Why do the people I’m helping need to be older?
IMO they don't need to be; homeless shelter's fine. If you want something that is both emotional and impactful, I recommend volunteering on a pediatric cancer unit, but make very sure you are doing it for the right reasons and NOT just to beef up your application.

Make sure your boxes are checked and you're a solid applicant for top 20 schools.

Reactions: 1 users
IMO they don't need to be; homeless shelter's fine. If you want something that is both emotional and impactful, I recommend volunteering on a pediatric cancer unit, but make very sure you are doing it for the right reasons and NOT just to beef up your application.

Make sure your boxes are checked and you're a solid applicant for top 20 schools.
Thank you so much! By boxes checked, could you clarify?

It is based mainly on your stats.
Thank you! May I ask what else you base the list off of? I heard that some of those schools (like Brown) are considered "low-yield" for OOS applicants. Sorry for so many questions; I just want to make as ideal of a list as possible and have few advisors at my school.

Thank you! May I ask what else you base the list off of? I heard that some of those schools (like Brown) are considered "low-yield" for OOS applicants. Sorry for so many questions; I just want to make as ideal of a list as possible and have few advisors at my school.
Brown does not have any instate preference. I do not list state public schools that admit few non residents with no connection to the state as well as some lower tier schools that will "yield protect" with your stats.

Thank you so much! By boxes checked, could you clarify?
"Boxes checked" for top-20 schools means at an absolute minimum 150-200 hours each of clinical and nonclinical volunteering, and really more like 300. You want some research involvement but if the rest of your app is rock solid you may get away with not having any.

Reactions: 2 users
"Boxes checked" for top-20 schools means at an absolute minimum 150-200 hours each of clinical and nonclinical volunteering, and really more like 300. You want some research involvement but if the rest of your app is rock solid you may get away with not having any.
Okay thank you! So, my boxes are checked at this point? I was just asking because of the wording of your previous message, saying “make sure your boxes are checked”, which I thought could imply that my boxes aren’t currently checked

Harvard
Hopkins
UPenn
Columbia
Duke
Stanford
UCSF
Vanderbilt
WashU
Cornell
NYU
Yale
Mayo
Northwestern
UMich
UPitt
UW
Sinai
UCLA
UChicago
UCSD
USC
BU
Brown
Einstein
UCI
UMass
Dartmouth
UC Davis
Georgetown
Tufts
GW
SUNY
Thomas Jefferson
Rutgers
UCR
Kaiser

@Faha

Thoughts on this school list? I feel like my list is very top-heavy, but I also don't want to err on the side of not applying to enough schools. I'm having trouble balancing only applying to schools I'd be happy going to and applying to enough schools to guarantee at least one acceptance. I feel like only applying to the top schools is arrogant, but I also wouldn't be happy to attend some of the schools on this list. Would also love to hear others' opinions
You should receive several interviews from your list.

Okay thank you! So, my boxes are checked at this point? I was just asking because of the wording of your previous message, saying “make sure your boxes are checked”, which I thought could imply that my boxes aren’t currently checked
Your boxes are more than checked and you're a rock star - you're still pack fodder for top 20 schools, but you're on the stronger side of pack fodder.

Don’t apply to schools you wouldn’t be happy to attend (although do try to keep an open mind and do some research on schools before eliminating them from your list).

Reactions: 1 users