This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seattle.brittle

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In my experience, the lack of a PhD won't be an issue; the lack of a lab science PI may be. If you want to do clinical trials, that generally isn't the type of person programs are looking for to fill the PSTP spot. If you want to do lab science, you'll have to convince them of your desire/aptitude and will probably get quizzed heavily on your second author pub, unpublished/ongoing research, and what your role was on those other basic science pubs.

There are also programs where you can get a PhD during fellowship or grants specifically supporting non-PhDs doing lab work during fellowship; if available at the places you're looking at, you may want to lean into those to get the training you don't have.

In my experience, the lack of a PhD won't be an issue; the lack of a lab science PI may be. If you want to do clinical trials, that generally isn't the type of person programs are looking for to fill the PSTP spot. If you want to do lab science, you'll have to convince them of your desire/aptitude and will probably get quizzed heavily on your second author pub, unpublished/ongoing research, and what your role was on those other basic science pubs.

There are also programs where you can get a PhD during fellowship or grants specifically supporting non-PhDs doing lab work during fellowship; if available at the places you're looking at, you may want to lean into those to get the training you don't have.
Thanks for the reply! I should've included more info, but my PI is mostly a lab science PI, she just happens to run 1-2 clinical trials that are based on her lab work. My project is mostly lab-based using mouse models.

Everything you said makes sense though, thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, that generally won't be a problem then.

also, make sure you have good project(s) for your PTSP after you get in (aka figure out research field and PI). You do not want to suffer from rotating from project to project

also, make sure you have good project(s) for your PTSP after you get in (aka figure out research field and PI). You do not want to suffer from rotating from project to project
Sounds good thanks. Do you think I have a good shot of getting into the PTSP or would it be better to dual apply?

Sounds good thanks. Do you think I have a good shot of getting into the PTSP or would it be better to dual apply?
it really comes down to what you like/enjoy to do in the future. I assume you know the ins and outs what is like running a lab, getting grants, collaborating, dealing with politics etc, and seeing patients no more than one half day a week, which is your lowest priority