17 on RC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leejunsoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've been reading alot of these forums and some people say that RC is really important and some say that RC is not that big of a deal.
i tried very hard preparing for this section and got a 17 on RC.
I tried many methods, tried S&D, skimming through etc, bought crack dat and got 17s, 18s, 19s and one 20.
at this point, even if I rewrite my dat, I don't see I will improve on this section

how important is this section?

any comments?

Members don't see this ad.

It all depends on the school. I just finished talking to a dental school committee member from a dental school and he told me it depends on how you did with your TS and Pat section. I mean he clearly said every school is different but I wouldn't be to worried if you did well in the sciences and PAT sections with a strong GPA. Good Luck

As my Princeton Review book said, the RC score isn't only an evaluation of how you did on the test, but also an evaluation on how you may possibly perform in dental school. You'll be basically flooded with a vast amount of reading to do, and being able to effectively read and comprehend what's presented to you is a good assessment of how you'll process given info in dental school.

My friend once said that the MCAT is more of a test of how much you know, while the DAT is more of a test of how you will learn/perform in the future. It holds some truth IMO.

At least that's how I see it, and possibly how some admissions faculty will see it. Take from that what you will.

i've been reading alot of these forums and some people say that RC is really important and some say that RC is not that big of a deal.
i tried very hard preparing for this section and got a 17 on RC.
I tried many methods, tried S&D, skimming through etc, bought crack dat and got 17s, 18s, 19s and one 20.
at this point, even if I rewrite my dat, I don't see I will improve on this section

how important is this section? Among the ranks that of the BIO section/AA.

any comments? See below.
1. First determine the premise by quickly skimming the entire passage in under 60 seconds.
2. Read each paragraph with a critical eye separating fact from opinion. Jot down keywords and noting paragraphs.
3. Determine overall message and/or agenda of the author. Make quick mental synopsis and determine overall tonality of entire passage.
4. Proceed to questions.
5. There you have it.
Works all the time for me.

As my Princeton Review book said, the RC score isn't only an evaluation of how you did on the test, but also an evaluation on how you may possibly perform in dental school. You'll be basically flooded with a vast amount of reading to do, and being able to effectively read and comprehend what's presented to you is a good assessment of how you'll process given info in dental school.

My friend once said that the MCAT is more of a test of how much you know, while the DAT is more of a test of how you will learn/perform in the future. It holds some truth IMO.

At least that's how I see it, and possibly how some admissions faculty will see it. Take from that what you will.
I have a feeling your friend did much better on the DAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
It all depends on the school. I just finished talking to a dental school committee member from a dental school and he told me it depends on how you did with your TS and Pat section. I mean he clearly said every school is different but I wouldn't be to worried if you did well in the sciences and PAT sections with a strong GPA. Good Luck

thanks guys for your comments
i have a 20TS (nothing special) and 24PAT
kinda worried...i know that I am never going to be good at RC no matter how much I practice,
hopefully, i can land some interviews!

thanks guys for your comments
i have a 20TS (nothing special) and 24PAT
kinda worried...i know that I am never going to be good at RC no matter how much I practice :thumbdown:,
hopefully, i can land some interviews!
That's a self-fulling prophecy statement you've indentured yourself to.

EDIT: I know that I am going to be good at RC no matter what; as long as I practice.:thumbup: