19 RC will hurt my chance at UPenn?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JLIM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Upenn is my dream school, and I am worried about my <20 RC and QR scores..
I've found that the mean score of 2012 entering class was 21 AA, 21 TS, 21 RC, and 21 PAT on their website. Mine is,

21 AA (exactly their avg)
22 TS (slightly higher than avg)
23 bio
21 gchm
23 ochm
20 PAT (slightly lower than avg)

but..

19 RC (2 scores lower than avg)
19 QR

My cGPA is 3.91 and sGPA is 3.88; my GPA has not been verified, and I think it will go up if A+ is counted as 4.33 instead of 4.00.

Do you guys think my RC and QR scores will hurt my chance at this school?
Is there anyone who got interviews or accepted in previous cycles with similar stats to mine?

I heard Upenn focuses more on GPA than DAT, but I am so anxious about my RC and QR scores... :( I need your honest opinions; any comments will not offend me at all.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Upenn is my dream school, and I am worried about my <20 RC and QR scores..
I've found that the mean score of 2012 entering class was 21 AA, 21 TS, 21 RC, and 21 PAT on their website. Mine is,

21 AA (exactly their avg)
22 TS (slightly higher than avg)
23 bio
21 gchm
23 ochm
20 PAT (slightly lower than avg)

but..

19 RC (2 scores lower than avg)
19 QR

My cGPA is 3.91 and sGPA is 3.88; my GPA has not been verified, and I think it will go up if A+ is counted as 4.33 instead of 4.00.

Do you guys think my RC and QR scores will hurt my chance at this school?
Is there anyone who got interviews or accepted in previous cycles with similar stats to mine?

I heard Upenn focuses more on GPA than DAT, but I am so anxious about my RC and QR scores... :( I need your honest opinions; any comments will not offend me at all.

Thanks!

Dude come on... you'll be fine

u have a shot
also you GPA will go down not up. A+ (whatever is the highest grade) is converted to 4.00 i believe

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, you have a better RC score than mine. I got 18. :(

I hope I also have a shot for UPenn, too.. Little bit worried.

Last edited:
You'll be fine. A few people during my interview at Penn had sub 20's on some DAT section. Granted, those were the ones who also had 2 Nature publications, went to the Olympics, or started their own NGOs. But nonetheless, you can still get an interview there with a 19. Don't worry about it.

You'll be fine. A few people during my interview at Penn had sub 20's on some DAT section. Granted, those were the ones who also had 2 Nature publications, went to the Olympics, or started their own NGOs. But nonetheless, you can still get an interview there with a 19. Don't worry about it.

Is this hyperbole, or is that what you actually have to do to get into Penn with sub-20 scores?

Man, I'm ******.

u have a shot
also you GPA will go down not up. A+ (whatever is the highest grade) is converted to 4.00 i believe

Nope, the OP is right its counted as 4.33 on AADSAS. My AADSAS GPA is higher than the GPA on my transcript where A+ is counted as a 4.0.

You're fine! They look a lot at your extra curriculars though... I got a 19 in RC, 22 TS and 21 AA exactly like you with a 3.78 GPA and got in Dec 1 last cycle.

I can guarantee you wouldn't have a shot if you didn't even apply.

Looks like everything else is fine, so looks like you have a fair shot even with one subpar score. Good luck!

Yes, it will hurt your chance.

JLIM,
I had very similar stats as you last year and not only I got an interview at Penn, I got accepted too. Write your supplemental application with as much thought as you put into you AADSAS application and you will get an interview too. Prep for and present well on your interview day and you'll be in. One interesting thing from my interview at Penn: my first question was "Do you have any questions for me?"