19 years in. . . a few dumb questions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

didja

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Won't be able to attend TAPS anytime soon and my local leadership is pretty inept so I have some dumb questions I'm hoping the group can help with:

20 years is 9 June 2021, which I understand means I retire on 1July 2021? Do I give notice to the MPF this month, the morning if 1 July 2020 or is it not all that time sensitive?

I signed a 2 year RP bonus in July 2019, I'm assuming I don't need to send any new contracts in?

Any other major pieces of advice at 19 years?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Then I can’t speak for the departure process. But it may be a difficult year for a job hunt. You might try to delay dropping your letter if you don’t already have a plan...

but congrats on reaching the finish line!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I do know you can do TAPS online if you have a reason. For me, it was recent ankle surgery and not being able to drive. So if you walked into the TAPS office in a walking boot on your right foot saying your spouse works and can't drive you every day, you could do the whole thing online in one day and have the rest of the time off to nurse that ankle.

Reactions: 1 user
Taps was pretty boring and I really didn't learn anything. Do get a VA review of your medical record. They come on base every month to fill out the paperwork. After 20 years, you have some defects which are rate-able. I did. I put in my retirement letter one year prior. I got terminal leave and job/house hunting leave. It was quite a relief to retire, but you feel weird for the first few month without the Sword of Damocles hanging over your head.

Reactions: 1 user
Appreciate these replies so far, thanks.