• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

19 years in. . . a few dumb questions.

didja

10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2007
  1. Attending Physician
Won't be able to attend TAPS anytime soon and my local leadership is pretty inept so I have some dumb questions I'm hoping the group can help with:

20 years is 9 June 2021, which I understand means I retire on 1July 2021? Do I give notice to the MPF this month, the morning if 1 July 2020 or is it not all that time sensitive?

I signed a 2 year RP bonus in July 2019, I'm assuming I don't need to send any new contracts in?

Any other major pieces of advice at 19 years?

About the Ads

turkish

10+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2006
Washington
  1. Attending Physician
I do know you can do TAPS online if you have a reason. For me, it was recent ankle surgery and not being able to drive. So if you walked into the TAPS office in a walking boot on your right foot saying your spouse works and can't drive you every day, you could do the whole thing online in one day and have the rest of the time off to nurse that ankle.

Reactions: 1 user

d2305

SDN Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
May 10, 2013
Pensacola FL
  1. Non-Student
Taps was pretty boring and I really didn't learn anything. Do get a VA review of your medical record. They come on base every month to fill out the paperwork. After 20 years, you have some defects which are rate-able. I did. I put in my retirement letter one year prior. I got terminal leave and job/house hunting leave. It was quite a relief to retire, but you feel weird for the first few month without the Sword of Damocles hanging over your head.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.