1st Peds Clerkship!?!?!?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOnut

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I start my MS III experience with Pediatrics next Tuesday. Is there any advice you could give me. I would really like to start the year off with a bang. What books did you use during your clerkship. Specifically do you have any tips on conducting a pediatric history and physical. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The rotation is very academic. We start with a pretest. We then are required to complete 3 papers, do a presentation, then pass the shelf.

Members don't see this ad.

Am I the only one starting with peds, or should I post this somewhere else?

Little help here please. :)

I had peds last or second to last, but ended up with pedi surg early on. WASH YOUR HANDS! I got puking sick every time I did peds. Kids are fun, and I'm applying to pedi residencies, so I guess puking wasn't a deterrant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks GeneGoddess!!!

Otherwise, umm (this was SO long ago for me). Kids will scream and yell A LOT. If you have to have a parent hold the child for an ear exam (very common), make sure to tell them to body hug them TIGHT. Warm your stethoscope. Stickers are great rewards for being "good". Bribery works well (If you hold still while I look in your ears, you get a sticker. If you are quieter than your sister, you'll get TWO).

GeneGoddess said:
Bribery works well (If you hold still while I look in your ears, you get a sticker. If you are quieter than your sister, you'll get TWO).

That's funny! I'm looking forward to this rotation. Are there any books that you would recommend? I know it was a long time ago, but what books are best for the shelf?

I'm also starting peds. The recommended books here are Pretest and Blueprints. Those are the only two books I'm getting for peds, unless there is a required text book that I'm not yet aware of.

I think Peds Blueprints is an excellent introductory book...If you want something with a little more detail Current Pediatric Medical Diagnosis and Treatment is great. It is well organized and concise. Of course, I also had 5 min Peds Consult on my palm which was also terrific! Don't use Essential's of Nelsons...not too useful. If you want to get your physical exam stuff down for kids, Zitelli's Atlas of Pediatric Physical Diagosis is the bomb. I am going into peds so this may be more than you need to know. But for starts, Blueprints and Current will serve you well.

Good luck :D

PS-Stickers are also useful

This was the best rotation EVER! Don't even stress about this one. I just can't get the darn immunization schedules in my brain, but everything in this field is so common sense. kids rock. and they actually get better when you treat them!