1st semester in DPT program..gone all wrong

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocMistyJax

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm finishing my first semester in a DPT program. However, I already have to repeat a course, which does not look good. I've had some difficulties in this program and with my cohort (as not everyone gets along, immature and unprofessional). I do not know if this program was a good fit, but now I doubt I can get into a different program due to my current grades. It is not what I expected from a DPT program as I was extremely invested and excited to go. Then it has been downhill.... as I have been constantly stressed out, and feel like I have no time to take care of myself.

I don't want to rant about this program that much, but I think some schools might teach and do things better. I would say not all my grades are bad, but we need B- to "pass" here, which is possible 2 of my courses don't meet (out of 4 courses). But now I am like how on Earth did I get in if I'm doing so bad? I did try a few things and I change my study habits and tutoring. Then I think the admissions folks made an extremely big mistake letting me in. Oddly I have ups and downs like "I'm smart enough" then "nope". I feel like I am letting everyone down who said I could do this program, and said I would make a great PT. I am now forced to take leave and rejoin the program next fall. I'm wondering if I should try a different school or in this time off, get better prepared for fall? I think I have not done well due to a combination of things, and not just one thing. And I don't want to be a horrible PT either or just be getting by in all my classes every semester. I cannot deal with that stress. Maybe I should apply to other programs see what happens? Has anyone been in my shoes before?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I'm finishing my first semester in a DPT program. However, I already have to repeat a course, which does not look good. I've had some difficulties in this program and with my cohort (as not everyone gets along, immature and unprofessional). I do not know if this program was a good fit, but now I doubt I can get into a different program due to my current grades. It is not what I expected from a DPT program as I was extremely invested and excited to go. Then it has been downhill.... as I have been constantly stressed out, and feel like I have no time to take care of myself.

I don't want to rant about this program that much, but I think some schools might teach and do things better. I would say not all my grades are bad, but we need B- to "pass" here, which is possible 2 of my courses don't meet (out of 4 courses). But now I am like how on Earth did I get in if I'm doing so bad? I did try a few things and I change my study habits and tutoring. Then I think the admissions folks made an extremely big mistake letting me in. Oddly I have ups and downs like "I'm smart enough" then "nope". I feel like I am letting everyone down who said I could do this program, and said I would make a great PT. I am now forced to take leave and rejoin the program next fall. I'm wondering if I should try a different school or in this time off, get better prepared for fall? I think I have not done well due to a combination of things, and not just one thing. And I don't want to be a horrible PT either or just be getting by in all my classes every semester. I cannot deal with that stress. Maybe I should apply to other programs see what happens? Has anyone been in my shoes before?
I think most cohorts are going to have drama. Every cohort I saw at my school was the same, immature, unprofessional, often quite spoiled. So that has nothing to do with your school in particular.

It is true that some programs just have different policies/protocols etc and you may jive with one program vs another. I feel like that is extremely hard to judge based on an interview/tour etc. Maybe you can get a sense if you talk to current students, I don't know. But I think it might be a gamble to try another school and run into the same problems, or just different problems (evil you know vs don't know). I will say.....no program will be easy, or probably even easier.

I think I'd just try to pull myself together for next fall and make the best of it. At least you already know the faculty and how things are done there. Whatever reasons you have not done well, try to address them (stress, study habits, etc).

I think almost everyone wonders secretly if they're smart enough to be there. You're used to doing really well in school, that's how you got accepted to begin with, then you just get your butt kicked all over the place. No one talks about it but almost everyone is thinking it.

You've got some time to sit on it and ponder. You aren't the only one to be decelerated, or to be feeling this way. Remember how hard you fought to be there.

I have a friend who decelerated, she failed a couple of classes. She just successfully finished her second rotation and is about to enter her third year. She took her decel time to regroup, get her head on straight, and joined the next cohort wiser and much more prepared.

Also.....your grades have very little bearing on whether you'll be a great PT or not.

Hang in there!

Reactions: 1 users
It is ok that your cohort is not a good fit of people for your personality. It would be nice if every one is friends and nice, but if it's not the case, it's ok too - it's life. Just treat school as school, not like a spot for socializing. You do not have to see any of your classmates again in 3 years. So don't let other people ruin your hard work you have done so far.
There are flaws in all programs. So again, treat it as something you have to deal with and go through for 3 years and then it will be over FOREVER.
YES! you are right that it's time for you to focus on you! And please don/t worry about letting everyone down! Most likely, they don't care, so don't care about them either. Be selfish (in a good way)!
I don't think it matters which school you will go to. Whatever is easier I would say. It's 50-50 if you future cohort is better or worse. But consider online/hybrid programs: then you will not need to deal with classmates that much, will have more time for yourself and to study since you do not need to physically go to school daily.

Members don't see this ad :)
All awesome advice above. I would say, though, that there is something important to be gleaned from suffering through situations you find soul-rending. Apologies if I'm sounding "man-splainy," but if you're going to treat human beings, you're going to have to learn how to suffer with a smile on your face. Be thankful that you are learning these ungraded lessons now! =) GL

The program just wants you for the money. Sorry kid always has been (astronaut meme)

Reactions: 1 user