1st year pharm student looking to transfer to another pharmacy school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

salma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am a P1 and I want to transfer schools and go elsewhere starting my P2 year. My reasons are both personal (sick parent who lives 8 hours away in my home state) and professional (the school that I am at isn't fully accredited yet and has limited opportunities for me. I want to do research or perhaps a residency after graduation).

Anyways, I have emailed the schools that I am interested in transferring into a couple of weeks ago and haven't heard anything back so I will call them this week. I want to know:
What is the timeline that I should follow? Do I need to fill out a pharmcas thing again? are they going to hold to see my fall grades as a P1? I am looking to transfer into any schools in Ohio or Ferris State or Wayne State in Michigan.

Members don't see this ad.

You just started your P1 year, right? Why did you choose this school if it wasn't where you wanted to go or didn't give you the right opportunities.

Transferring is pretty rare in pharmacy school. I would know, because I've done it, but it was under very unusual circumstances.

You just started your P1 year, right? Why did you choose this school if it wasn't where you wanted to go or didn't give you the right opportunities.

Transferring is pretty rare in pharmacy school. I would know, because I've done it, but it was under very unusual circumstances.

I chose this school because I loved the staff and the faculty and they made a really good impression on me on the day of my interview. I am from out of state. The school looks decent on paper. It wasn't until I got here and started my experiential training at various sites that I found out about the kind of reputation this school has with the surrounding community. This school doesn't rank very highly among individuals who are from this area. The first preceptor that I worked under told me: "I know about school X more than you because I am from here and there is no way you can go into research after going to that school. They don't have the resources, connections or reputation."

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you have extenuating circumstances, I doubt you will be able to transfer from an unaccredited school despite the (pre)candidate status- I am not sure what school you go to. You have already invested a considerable amount of money and you must determine the opportunity cost. You could, theoretically, apply to another school through a regular admissions process and simply lose one year plus the time/effort you have invested in your studies at your current school. Of course, this would require an explanation to the schools you are applying to.

However, considering the factors, IMO you should just get through it. It is imperative that you make connections and do your own networking so that you are able to find the type of job you want post graduation. Your performance on your rotations will be extremely important, obviously. Keep in mind that in this economy/job market, you may not end up in a job you love. You might have to work your way into your ideal job.

If there's a saving grace in this, its that you realized early on that you wanted to transfer.

As others have said, it is extremely difficult (but not impossible) to transfer among pharmacy schools. Curricula are far from standardized across schools, so your current school may not cover certain material that another one does in the first year, and vice versa. The accreditation status of your current school certainly won't make things any easier.

Your best bet (and probably only option) at this point is to re-enter PharmCAS and go through the whole process again. There are a few questions, though.

1) Were you accepted to other schools the first time around? If the answer to that is no, then you're probably not going to have any success this time around.

2) How are your grades currently? If you can't handle one school very well, others are less likely to take you in.

3) Will you be able to justify your reapplication? Some schools may see this as a sign of dedication to furthering yourself, others may see it as poor initial decision making.

4) What's your backup plan? Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

It will be tough going for you, and you can probably rest assured that they will look at your pharmacy school grades. If I were you, I would do my best to make sure they're stellar. I would also try to prevent anyone at your current school from finding out about your desire to transfer until they absolutely have to...I don't think they'd appreciate your reasoning too much.

Good luck to you!

If you don't mind me asking, what Pharm school do you go to?

RE: the schools you want to transfer to

Did you get into any of them the first time around? If yes... you might have some chance of getting admitted, but I wouldn't count on them letting you transfer any credits.

If no, I don't think you have much chance of transferring to any of them.

What kind of extenuating circumstances would you need to have to transfer? Do the pharmacy schools actually take that into consideration?

In my case, I withdrew from one school because my daughter and niece were murdered one month before the start of my P3 year. The school was holding my spot but I decided to transfer to a school closer to home to finish up. I had to get special permission from the Dean of the second school to make it happen. It wasn't easy.

That's one example. I don't know anyone else who has actually transferred, so I can't provide other examples of "extenuating circumstances." My reasons are way different than "I want to transfer because this school isn't as good/prestigious as I thought it was." Not that the OP doesn't have valid reasons, I just think she has an uphill battle.

I transferred schools after my P1 year. I don't recall needing to give any specific reasoning to the school. I just wanted to transfer to be closer to my boyfriend (now husband) who got a job at the other end of the country. I really don't remember having to explain any of that though, but it has been awhile. One thing to check into is how they will transfer your courses. The school I transferred to made it sound like they would accept all my previous coursework, but they ended up transferring most of them in as electives which kind of sucked.

I chose this school because I loved the staff and the faculty and they made a really good impression on me on the day of my interview.....

Who you trying to kid??? You went to that school because more reputable schools rejected you. You are the exact reason why this profession is going to sh*ts. Schools like yours prey on people like you and you let them sell you a dream of one day becoming a coveted pharmacist, while sucking your purse clean. Are you even able to get federal loans? Of course the staff will try to make a good impression, they're selling a six figure diploma, you expect them to be curt like me. You reap what you sow.

Who you trying to kid??? You went to that school because more reputable schools rejected you. You are the exact reason why this profession is going to sh*ts. Schools like yours prey on people like you and you let them sell you a dream of one day becoming a coveted pharmacist, while sucking your purse clean. Are you even able to get federal loans? Of course the staff will try to make a good impression, they're selling a six figure diploma, you expect them to be curt like me. You reap what you sow.

This could be the case, but people sometimes do fall for good sales pitches and don't go to good schools that were badly presented to them :(

I chose this school because I loved the staff and the faculty and they made a really good impression on me on the day of my interview. I am from out of state. The school looks decent on paper. It wasn't until I got here and started my experiential training at various sites that I found out about the kind of reputation this school has with the surrounding community. This school doesn't rank very highly among individuals who are from this area. The first preceptor that I worked under told me: "I know about school X more than you because I am from here and there is no way you can go into research after going to that school. They don't have the resources, connections or reputation."

Well what the pharmacist told you is a little discouraging but remember that there is always a first. As long as you push yourself to excel and perhaps go beyond what the school would have of you... someone will notice. Apply for a fellowship or a residency afterwords because that's where you really get into doing research (former) and buff your credentials if retail isn't what you are looking to get into.

As for transferring... I not really sure about this topic since I've never actually transferred before. But you may face some difficulties with the school not being accredited and therefore other schools may not want to take a student from a non-accredited institution. Anyway, best of luck.

I transferred schools after my P1 year. I don't recall needing to give any specific reasoning to the school. I just wanted to transfer to be closer to my boyfriend (now husband) who got a job at the other end of the country. I really don't remember having to explain any of that though, but it has been awhile. One thing to check into is how they will transfer your courses. The school I transferred to made it sound like they would accept all my previous coursework, but they ended up transferring most of them in as electives which kind of sucked.

You mean courses like Pharmaceutics and Biochem were transferred as electives and you had to take them over again? Did you have to do one more year?

I'm sorry JackBeanstalk, are you going to school for free? Are you NOT paying someone so that you can also become a pharmacist one day? Regardless of which school you go to, there is always a price tag attached to the education that you receive. Higher education is always a big business, even at the most reputable schools. Especially at the most reputable schools. Ofcourse, I like many people on here, did not get into my first choice school. If I did, I obviously wouldn't be on sdn posting this thread. I want to become a pharmacist and I will go wherever I need to go in order to do that. Which is why I accepted the offer to be at this school. But for the aforementioned reasons, I would like to transfer. I posted this thread asking for advice regarding transfers (tips, insight etc). Not to have you attack me with absolutely no regard to the original question that I posted.

Oh and FYI, ofcourse I am able to get federal loans to fund my education and considering how much I am willing to pay, I don't think there is anything wrong with me wanting an education that I am fully happy with.

I agree. If you can't get into a high rank school then you shouldn't be in pharmacy. All those diplomia mills shouldn't be here.

To the OP. If you can't get into your first choice in the first place I doubt you will be able to get in the second time you apply or the third or the fourth. You are either in or not. If you had a chance the school would have accepted you in the first place.

professional (the school that I am at isn't fully accredited yet and has limited opportunities for me. I want to do research or perhaps a residency after graduation).

I want to become a pharmacist and I will go wherever I need to go in order to do that. Which is why I accepted the offer to be at this school. But for the aforementioned reasons, I would like to transfer.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.