2:2 program or 3:1? (classroom:clinic)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tastrophe

NCSU c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so, some schools are really boasting this "2 years of classroom and 2 years of clinic" approach, as opposed to the more traditional 3 years of classroom and 1 year of clinic curriculum. I see the advantages, but I just have this feeling that, if it was really such a spectacular difference, more schools would be doing it. I've also noticed that the top ranked schools are all on the 3:1 system, which makes me question even more. Anyone care to share their opinions/thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Someone from Mizzou (I think it was Electrophile?) told me that in order to do 2:2 there, they have extremely short summer breaks. Didn't seem worth it after hearing that :laugh:

At Mn they seem to introduce mini clinicals in the third year, with a slightly decreased class load. I liked that idea -- start a bit early, but not so early you have to rush. Yet another reason I'm in love with that school. Three more weeks until we hear :)

Members don't see this ad :)
i think i would have given my left arm to knock a year of lectures off in exchange for another year of clinics.

At Penn you can choose to start clinics in your third year instead of taking classes, adding up to an extra full semester, making it 2.5:1.5. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for all the clinics I can get.

i'm pretty sure i'm taking all the classes i can get.

and that second semester of third year is more than just classes... you get patients to follow up on, i'm pretty sure, at ryan and at nbc.

i'm pretty sure i'm taking all the classes i can get.

and that second semester of third year is more than just classes... you get patients to follow up on, i'm pretty sure, at ryan and at nbc.

I think it's different for you because some of the LA classes are required for your clinics. I'm not 100% sure though. Either way, I think I will get more out of clinics than classes, you think you will get more out of classes than clinics, and this is why I like the option of doing either.

At OSU in your third year, spring quarter starts your clinical experience (and that is the end of your summers. Therefore you will have 5 quarters of clinics and 8 quarters of classes. So its kind of inbetween the 2:2 and 3:1 systems.

Someone from Mizzou (I think it was Electrophile?) told me that in order to do 2:2 there, they have extremely short summer breaks. Didn't seem worth it after hearing that :laugh:

Yes, we have a 2 year class/2 year clinical system. You get 3 weeks for winter (Christmas) break and 6 weeks for summer break (plus 1 week for Thanksgiving and spring break). So we are on a block schedule with 11 total instructional periods of classes. The last instructional period ends halfway through the first semester third year. I'm more hands on/problem based learning oriented. I hope it helps me!

Okay, so, some schools are really boasting this "2 years of classroom and 2 years of clinic" approach, as opposed to the more traditional 3 years of classroom and 1 year of clinic curriculum.
FYI that is because they are modeling the med school curriculums.

And I absolutely LOVED having 2 years in clinics:D:thumbup:

We have short summers so that we can fit in all our pre-clinical classes. That way we're not skimping out too bad on anything crucial to our education. And from what most vets say, the real learning begins in clinics anyways (not to say you don't learn anything in lectures, but I feel it'll be taken to another level once we start clinical rotations).

And I can't believe it hasn't been said yet, but to the OP...those rankings are pretty useless for vet schools. I wouldn't really consider those if you're looking at multiple schools...go to the school that fits you best, because honestly a "top-ranked" school that doesn't fit you is going to make you pretty miserable for the next 4 years.