2.3 GPA, No MCAT yet, Masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gottakeepgoin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a undergrad gpa 2.3 with a biology degree. I know applying to med school is out of the question for a couple of years.
Should I do a post-bac program or masters? With a masters, med schools would see a separate gpa aside from my undergrad gpa. With a post bac, it would add on.
I dont have publications in research but I have extracurriculars, leadership, volunteering, research for a year, internships, and shadowing.

With that gpa, I know Ill have a hard time getting into even a post bac or masters program. Any suggestions? Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

post bac and seriously work on it. Look into DO schools as well, it'll be super hard to get into MD at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not one to normally say this, but given your situation, it would be most advisable for you to find another career. Do you really want to spend the next 3 years of your life on the possibility that some medical school will accept you? The cost in living expenses + tuition + books + amount you could have earned are so great that you must consider that. Would you really not be happy with another career?

Also, you have a 2.3. What makes you think you can handle a post-bacc or masters? Serious thing to ponder and have a good answer for.

Honestly, your best option is the Caribbean, but I'd advise against it. Some will come here saying to go for DO, but I don't think you'll be well seen after they realize you retook nearly half of all your classes to get to a decent GPA (60 units at 2.3 and 60 units at 4.0 = 3.15).

3 years of schooling to remediate.

3 years of borrowing.

3 years of impeccable focus.

Hello,
I have a undergrad gpa 2.3 with a biology degree. I know applying to med school is out of the question for a couple of years.
Should I do a post-bac program or masters? With a masters, med schools would see a separate gpa aside from my undergrad gpa. With a post bac, it would add on.
I dont have publications in research but I have extracurriculars, leadership, volunteering, research for a year, internships, and shadowing.

With that gpa, I know Ill have a hard time getting into even a post bac or masters program. Any suggestions? Please help.
Is your GPA low due to a bad freshman year or a difficult semester, or were your grades in the C -ish range throughout college? What is your science and math GPA? Did you have an upward science grade trend toward the end of colllege?

If you really want to do this, your only option is to go the DO route and do some serious grade replacement. I would not recommend doing a formal post-bac, at least at first. First thing I would do is retake any classes you have D's or F's and MAKE SURE to get A's in all classes. You could start out slow with 2-3 classes per semester if you need to, because if you cannot do this, you will not be a doctor, ever.

Next I would retake classes you got C's in until your GPA with grade replacement is up to 3.0 or close to it. Then take a full load of upper division bio classes and ace them or do a formal post-bac to show the ADCOMs you can handle the load. This should raise your GPA a little more and you'll have a chance. You should be able to raise your GPA to 3.0 within 4 semesters of full time work. If you fail with getting all A's in this or this doesn't sound like something you want to do, then I would follow Triage's advice and look for another career. Good luck whatever you choose.

If you have any F's retake those classes, D.O replaces those grades, F's bring your gpa down big time.